Double 8 Used In A 16mm Camera

Hi,

I just have a quick simple question. Can I use double 8 film "25 ft spool" in a vintage double sproket 16mm camera. I know it will only expose 25 feet but I just want to shoot some film in a couple hand crank cameras I picked up off Ebay. The double sprokets on the old cameras line up pefectly with the standard double 8 film. I just need to know if I tell the process company to expose it as 16mm and not split it, if I will have any results worthy of the effort. I figure it's worth a try. I like to think out of the box and have fun with it. Thanks for any advice! :blink:

Dave

• Premium Member
I just have a quick simple question. Can I use double 8 film "25 ft spool" in a vintage double sproket 16mm camera. I know it will only expose 25 feet

Only see three problems..

1) the spool itself will not fit the camera. Regular 8 has a round hole with three extra "lugs" on one side and 4 on the other to keep you from putting it in the camera the wrong way. This is too small to fit on a 16mm shaft.

2) their are twice as many perforations as you need. assuming you are just using reversal and intending to project, that only means a 50% chance that you will have to stop and re-thread the projector because you end up threading it with the "wrong set" of Perforations and so you get your frame line right across the middle of the screen. If Scanning is you pleasure, the same problem MAY crop up depending on the lab, time wasted there is costly.

3) as you indicated the lab is "used" to slitting the film when it comes out of the processor. the bigger the lab and the more regular 8 they run, the better chance that they will need to take some special procedure to handle your film to ensure it gets back to you in one piece. Your best bet is to ask the lab what they would like ypu to do to FLAG this special order. You would also be sending them a 16mm spool which you would need to get back to use your camera again. Not a technical problem but some labs DO have a 100ft minimum processing charge, although they will no doubt be happy to run any lengh you send them.

WHY NOT just get some double perf? while it is no longer common, it is available. I have seen some resellers (for example the guy who listed Item number: 390033839107 ) offering it on ebay from time to time, and the common reversal stock is in the Kodak catalog with a fairly small minimum order.

Hi,

I just have a quick simple question. Can I use double 8 film "25 ft spool" in a vintage double sproket 16mm camera. I know it will only expose 25 feet but I just want to shoot some film in a couple hand crank cameras I picked up off Ebay. The double sprokets on the old cameras line up pefectly with the standard double 8 film. I just need to know if I tell the process company to expose it as 16mm and not split it, if I will have any results worthy of the effort. I figure it's worth a try. I like to think out of the box and have fun with it. Thanks for any advice! :blink:

Dave

I tried this once and it didn't seem to work and the camera kept jamming and destroyed the film. :(

I think the pitch might be slightly different or something. Apparently you can shoot the film in a standard 8 camera and project it in a 16mm projector just fine tho.

love

Freya

I tried this once and it didn't seem to work and the camera kept jamming and destroyed the film. :(

I think the pitch might be slightly different or something. Apparently you can shoot the film in a standard 8 camera and project it in a 16mm projector just fine tho.

love

Freya

Freya is correct. This pitch is different. But you can run double 8 though 16mm equipment. I had it telecined as 16 for this short http://www.wolftoob.com/birds

Hi,

Dave

Yes, You can use of D8 ( 2x8 ) films at 16 mm camera.

D8 film have similar size of perforation and similar step between perforation.

You will need re-wind of D8 film from 25 ft spool on 16 mm x 100 ft spool or standard core and load on 16 mm camera.

D8 film have perforation with size :1,83x1,27 mm, step 3,81 mm

16 mm film, russian standard, have perforation 1,83 x1,27 , step 7,62 mm ( 3,81 + 3,81 = 7,62 )mm

16 mm kodak film have perforation 1,829 x 1,27 mm, step 7,62 mm ( ANSI number 1R,2R-3000 ) or step 7,605 ( ANSI number 1R,2R 2994 ).

The next problem can be at film show, you will need load film on cine projector at correct perforation.