DP Demo Reel - Jonathan Bowerbank

I've uploaded a hastily put together reel as I'm being considered for 3 separate gigs (they DO always come in 3's!)

http://vimeo.com/3478146

I'd appreciate any critique, constructive criticism, advice, etc. I still haven't put TOO much thought into the edit.

Although I do think I should include a few more interior "studio" lit shots, seems like I may have too many exteriors :/

• Premium Member

Jonathan,

I think it looks damned good except for 3 spots which I found needing a bit of work.

1) the opening shot seems just a bit too bright for my liking (might be my monitor right now, though) but just seems... I dunno, a bit unnatural looking for a day ext in my opinion

2) the shot of the 3 people around 1:30 in the reel just doesn't seem as strong as the rest of your work, so I'd consider replacing it with something else

3) at about 1:57, the shot with the lighter, it's great, but I found the lens flare a bit distracting.

Aside from that I liked the reel, and the music choice/edits were good to my eyes. I really liked the music in fact, and the B/w 16mm looking silent film bit and the drag queens looked fantastic.

• Premium Member

I am, of course, speaking only in terms of lighting, framing, and color.

And, in the end, to each their own.

To go a bit off topic, I have to admit, here in Philadelphia we have something called "Gay Bingo," which is staffed totally by "queens." I took the liberty, one night, to check it out, and I have to say, it makes the art direction on Moulin Rouge, look rather lack-luster!

It's fun in a quirky type way.

Hey Jonathan,

I also don't think that the shots in the restaurant/cafe at the beginning are worth including in your reel.

Overall I like your reel but unlike Adrian I didn't like the music.

I would add that if you have any tighter detail shots it might balance out the general framings that you display on there.

Hope you get all 3 jobs!!

Edited by Serge Teulon

Yeah, that first dolly shot is distracting. It is a bit bright, which can be fixed. But the dolly / camera operation seems to be rather unsteady, too much for my liking at least. I would darken it some and use the more steady parts of it. It really doesn't need to be that long anyway.

Yeah, that first dolly shot is distracting. It is a bit bright, which can be fixed. But the dolly / camera operation seems to be rather unsteady, too much for my liking at least. I would darken it some and use the more steady parts of it. It really doesn't need to be that long anyway.

Thanks all! Yeah, the dolly shot is a bit long I agree. The head I had for it kinda killed a lot of the move. I still gotta go through all of it and grade it, still haven't had a chance, but most of it worked fine for a quick demo.

Also, yeah, that 3 shot with the singer & break dancer I'll probably dispose of :)

thanks again!

• Premium Member

You took the words right out of my mouth, or hands in this case. Of course it can be graded to fix the over exposure, but the move and operating don't quite cut it, especially as the opening shot in the reel.