Want to share pics from inside your bolex?

Dennis Goble

Anyone want to share your pics from deep inside the bowels of a bolex? :ph34r:

Deep inside where no one else has dared to go? :unsure:

On another note I am looking for a link to a service manual. Any model.

I'll take anything I can get. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Dennis

Have a look at the animato website - little bits there ...

What in particular are you wanting to get done ? super16, repair ?

I have an EL repair manual but it really isn't anything like a wind up except the film transport system and there are a few similarities with the viewfinding assembly also.

Hi Chris

How big is the EL manual file?

I have the animato site. Very interesting. They don't show much of the inner workings though.

Would be nice to get some pics inside. I am more interested in the spring wind models.

Maybe attempt a little repair.

Thanks

Have a look at the animato website - little bits there ...

What in particular are you wanting to get done ? super16, repair ?

I have an EL repair manual but it really isn't anything like a wind up except the film transport system and there are a few similarities with the viewfinding assembly also.

Hi Chris

How big is the EL manual file?

I have the animato site. Very interesting. They don't show much of the inner workings though.

Would be nice to get some pics inside. I am more interested in the spring wind models.

Maybe attempt a little repair.

Thanks

sorry, the EL file is yet to be scanned and will be big - boring task - but I will do it one day ...

If you need to repair anything specific get in touch here and I may be able to help, there are at least two or three others with at least the same or (much) more Bolex internal knowledge also - best way to learn is just to get in there and have a look, perhaps save a few $$$ for the replacement parts you ruin first time round :lol: - just dont open the spring assembly if you value your eyesight

Yes I'm always wary of springs and such popping out.

Do you have any pictures of your bolex repairs?

sorry, the EL file is yet to be scanned and will be big - boring task - but I will do it one day ...

If you need to repair anything specific get in touch here and I may be able to help, there are at least two or three others with at least the same or (much) more Bolex internal knowledge also - best way to learn is just to get in there and have a look, perhaps save a few $$$ for the replacement parts you ruin first time round :lol: - just dont open the spring assembly if you value your eyesight

Yes I'm always wary of springs and such popping out.

Do you have any pictures of your bolex repairs?

I was going to blog the process of super16ing both my SB and EL but discovered it aint much fun stopping to photograph and write notes at every step and so just got on with the real fun of actually doing it ... (and yes they were complete modifications in every sense)

It was about two years ago, so most of the steps aren't fresh in memory either, but I'm certain I could do it again to either model in half the time - so could 'help' someone with tips along the way I guess.

But yeh, sorry no photos

post-39905-1236619309.jpg

I found this picture. How much work and special tools required to get the camera to this point?

Or is this just an x-ray view? How many parts will be flying across the bench at this point?

I was going to blog the process of super16ing both my SB and EL but discovered it aint much fun stopping to photograph and write notes at every step and so just got on with the real fun of actually doing it ... (and yes they were complete modifications in every sense)

It was about two years ago, so most of the steps aren't fresh in memory either, but I'm certain I could do it again to either model in half the time - so could 'help' someone with tips along the way I guess.

But yeh, sorry no photos

Edited by Dennis Goble

i took the front off mine a while back with the intention of milling the gate for super 16 but didn't get any further than that yet.

here are a few pics with the front off, the engineering that must go into designing something clockwork is mindblowing. I'm not sure how you'd get access to all the clockwork, but i dont think id attemt it unless i had a manual or knew what i was doing.

DSCN1533.jpg

the photo isn't great, due to a poor digital camera and it being quite a hard place to get any light in to see without then casting a shadow when i take a photo.

DSCN1531.jpg

Thanks Stephen

Yes I can imagine gears and springs spread all over my bench

Thanks for the pics.

Dennis

i took the front off mine a while back with the intention of milling the gate for super 16 but didn't get any further than that yet.

here are a few pics with the front off, the engineering that must go into designing something clockwork is mindblowing. I'm not sure how you'd get access to all the clockwork, but i dont think id attemt it unless i had a manual or knew what i was doing.

DSCN1533.jpg

the photo isn't great, due to a poor digital camera and it being quite a hard place to get any light in to see without then casting a shadow when i take a photo.

DSCN1531.jpg

post-39905-1236619309.jpg

I found this picture. How much work and special tools required to get the camera to this point?

Or is this just an x-ray view? How many parts will be flying across the bench at this point?

Thats a picture for instructional purposes only (not quite an x-ray but yes you get the picture). You wont ever get your bolex like that as it isn't built that way except maybe with quite a bit of work :lol: I'd start with a mill ...

As for parts flying across the bench - none - aside from the light leaks (lol) that's a working camera... The pic shows the user interface and reflex prism/finder stuff quite well, but none of the transport or motor aside from a little of the governer and the sealed spring... No shutter either.

What model do you have ? a reflex camera in my experience will be more tricky and sensitive to damage...

• 2 years later...