I need advice.

Miguel M

I just joined cinematography.com Is an excellent website. I know this question probably gets asked a lot but i just though there is someone out there who can help me out. I am about to graduated from school. I have been on many student sets and i have develop an interested for cinematography. I know that school will not guarantee you a job in the industry. I know that if i EVER get a job on a set out of school will be a non paid job and a set p.a or something even lower without paid. I live in Phoenix, AZ the jobs here that come in from other parts of the country are always taken by the people that live here and connections blah blah and so on. I am moving to New York in search of work. My question really is how or what is the best way to get into a set if you dont know anybody and you have try to network, talk to people in the industry and all they do is talk and not paid any attention to you because you are young, poor and unexperienced??? any help or thoughts are greatly welcome

THANK YOU!

• Premium Member

Miguel, I'd go out to LA.. more work to be had there 'bouts.

Also just keep putting yourself out there as much as you can. Once you start, if you're good, you can keep on going. You just need to build your network. That may mean working off of craigslist and mandy for a bit, but it's a start.

Best of luck!

Miguel, I'd go out to LA.. more work to be had there 'bouts.

Also just keep putting yourself out there as much as you can. Once you start, if you're good, you can keep on going. You just need to build your network. That may mean working off of craigslist and mandy for a bit, but it's a start.

Best of luck!

You can network all you want but it still does not guarantee you a job. Yes their is more work in LA but then jobs are leaving LA as well for Louisiana, Orlando, Miami, New Mexico. If you have a film book or look at productionhub and get some numbers or e-mail people around AZ.