Avoiding flourescent flicker all together

I started by doing a search on the topic "Flourescent flicker" and came across nothing useful. This weekend i am shooting 24p with an xl2 in a classroom, using the built in flourescents. What are the chances we experience problems?

Thanks so much!

Make sure your shutter speed stays at 1/60 of a second. The fluros run at 60hz which means 60 cycles a second, so when you're frame rate is 1/60 of a second you are getting 1 full cycle in the lights every 1/60th of a second which makes for 60 full cycles in a second. That basically means that the lights will look fine.

I may be completely off, or just slightly off here. Wait for someone else to confirm or deny what I have said before you trust it :) .

I also just realized that that really didn't make any sense, so hopefully someone can come through and help me out also. I'll look into it again because I know I read this not too long ago and if I find it I'll reply back.

Edited by Steve McBride

• Premium Member

It's true, but generally frame rate and shutter speed are linked together. it depends on your own camera, of course. If you wanted it to react as film does you'd change the shutter speed with the frame rate.. but you don't necessarily need to.

In theory, you could keep it at 1/50th to a point (50 fps perhaps) wherein you can't fit anymore frames for that rate (does that make sense).

For ~34 fps.. you might be Ok, but personally w/o testing I'd not bank on it. Thankfully all you need is a floro bulb to give it a try (though of course, the ballasts in your location will behave differently than the ballast you test, in theory).

Good Luck!