The Films of Blue November Creations

Guest captainchambers

Guest captainchambers

ADMIN NOTE: This topic was originally posted twice (please don't do that) and I've merged the two topics into one thread.

My first film is online at Undergroundfilm.org, free for public viewing, and we are currently at Number 5 on the MOST WATCHED list! Please help promote this film by watching it, and then rating the film. While you're there, click on my name and discover my second film! You can watch it and rate it too! We are making a new kind of cinema and Hollywood is NOT invited! I am proud tO have both of my films online and visible to the World! Thank you all, for your support!

ADAM & YVETTE

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films/detail.tcl?wid=1013564

THE LIGHTSWITCH FADES

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films/detail.tcl?wid=1014378

Sincerely,

Captain Chambers

Guest captainchambers

My first film is online at Undergroundfilm.org, free for public viewing, and we are currently at Number 5 on the MOST WATCHED list! Please help promote this film by watching it, and then rating the film. While you're there, click on my name and discover my second film! You can watch it and rate it too! We are making a new kind of cinema and Hollywood is NOT invited! I am proud tO have both of my films online and visible to the World! Thank you all, for your support!

ADAM & YVETTE

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films/detail.tcl?wid=1013564

THE LIGHTSWITCH FADES

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films/detail.tcl?wid=1014378

Sincerely,

Captain Chambers

Guest captainchambers
im not sure what to say about these

You may say whatever you like! I just ask that you keep an open mind, which is difficult for most. I shot these differently, but this is a different kind of cinema. What was your initial response?

""We are making a new kind of cinema and Hollywood is NOT invited!""

:lol:

most hollywood haters have a reason to hate the industry...like shooting a crappy movie you thought was 'pure genious' at the time then having an executive type tell you that it's a peice of crap. so instead of learning from your mistakes, you blame the industry and everyone in it.

like it's their fault that you wanted to get rich quick and weren't willing to work for it.

but i'm sure you'll get better and better if you're really passionate about your filmmaking endeavors...

finally, i'd like to leave you with a little something you wrote on your website:

""Influences:

I grew up with Star Wars, The Black Hole, Tron...you know, neo-classical sci-fi.""

hey, wait a sec...

i thought you said Hollywood's not..

but I thought..

:rolleyes:

Guest captainchambers
Even though your films are free for public viewing, I'm going down to the Cineplex to watch a Hollywood movie instead.

That is excellent! I hope that you have a wonderful time. I'm looking forward to Polar Express, Finding Neverland and the remake of Flight of the Phoenix. Just remember, that some of the best films you will ever see are not at the Cineplex, some of the best music you will ever hear is not a part of a corporate record label nor is it on the shelf next to talentless facades such as Britney or Hillary, and some of the best art/poetry/literature will never be seen at a posh museum or on bookstore chain's shelf.

Thanx for the response!

Guest dpforum1968

I watched the first third of Adam & Evette out of curiosity.

First of all, congratulations on making some thing and having the courage to show it off here.

But, I'm afraid you have a L-O-N-G way to go.

For starters you are making a mistake common to new "film" makers, I put "film" in quotes because it looks like you shot on DV (more on that later), you are trying to emulate a genre that is next to impossible to do in low budget.

Attempting drama without top quality actors in the low budget arena is not a smart idea. To do drama effectively you need quality well trained actors, students just won't cut it. The performance of your actors brings down the quality of the entire production. Be honest, will your family and friends really want to sit through this "film?"

The production values are barely equal to what I've seen from first year film students. Sorry, but that's a fact. All areas of the production, shooting, editing, sound, lighting, are all weak. The script is well, if I was grading it, D-.

Now with regard to DV. This is another problem for first time filmmakers, DV brings down your production in many ways. 1) Because it's such a cheap format DV videomakers don't spend a quarter the time carefully setting up shots that people shooting film do. This production shows off the essential trap of DV, L-O-N-G shots, just because you can. If you where shooting 35mm film at a dollar a foot I can guarantee you you would have a much tighter production with much shorter shots. 2) People assume that if they can shoot in DV they can make the jump to film. This is not true at all. If you want to be a filmmaker, then shoot film. Start with 16mm, then work up to 35mm. You will learn a lot more and get a better product.

You can still edit your show on your computer even if you shoot film.

If you start submitting this film to festivals in the bigger cities I don't think you'll get too far. I've attended several film festivals and this production will not be competitive in most.

Now dozens of people will start chiming in and telling me that the shooting format doesn't matter, people don't care if it's 35mm or DV. Please spare me those posts, that is nonsense.

DC

Guest dpforum1968

FYI, here is the trailer for the last film I made. Shot on 35mm by me as well.

This is just a little teaser trailer, I don't have enough web space for the entire film, but it gives you an idea. It has screened at several film festivals in large US cities and been a finalist or finished in first place in all of them.

Deathdealer.com Trailer

DC

Guest captainchambers

Thank you for your point-of-view, and your professional manner of presenting it. I always try to be humble and listen to those who offer their thoughts, opinions or advice, even if it does not always apply. I shoot films differently than what you are probably accustomed to. I understand that there are difficulties that must be overcome or dealt with, such as the festival issue. However, I am creating a different kind of cinema, and I have to be true to my passion no matter what the cost.

Maybe I'll be the next Ed Wood!

Actually, I shot both films on 8mm video.... simple camcorder with panty hose over the lens. I share your enthusiasm for film; I hate digital. My future films will be shot on Super 8mm, and others will be shot on Regular 8mm.

Thanx, again, for the advice. And thank you for watching.

Guest captainchambers
FYI, here is the trailer for the last film I made.  Shot on 35mm by me as well.

This is just a little teaser trailer, I don't have enough web space for the entire film, but it gives you an idea.  It has screened at several film festivals in large US cities and been a finalist or finished in first place in all of them.

Deathdealer.com Trailer

DC

I really liked this. Very well done! Please keep me posted on the progress.....later!

Guest captainchambers

"most hollywood haters have a reason to hate the industry...like shooting a crappy movie you thought was 'pure genious' at the time then having an executive type tell you that it's a peice of crap. so instead of learning from your mistakes, you blame the industry and everyone in it."

Actually, you could not be more wrong. I find it interesting that people are so defensive instead of trying to think outside of the box and look beyond the norm. The films I create are nothing like the typical fare, nor were they intended to be.

This was not sent to any executives, as you say, and I could care less about their opinion. That was an element that, simply, did not matter.

I would not say that I "hate" the industry, per say.... you drew that conclusion on your own. I simply do not agree with the methods of Hollywood. According to Hollywood, Bela Lugosi was yesterday's news, but Ed Wood saw purpose in him, and he gave him purpose and made the last days of his life something special. How many director/producers in TODAY'S Hollywood climate would do that? I'd be surprised, if any, since there isn't a dollar sign attached to it.

First and foremost, I do not create ANYTHING for anybody else but myself and for the sake of creativity. I did not make the mistake of doing what so MANY are doing these days, and write a film around the idea of making money or finding success. I create art, whether it is understood or not. They use to do that in the cinema world...once upon a time.

A crappy movie? Everyone has their opinion, and I understand that not everyone is going to like my films. I am going against the grain, you know. People tend to favor complacency. Then again, they could simply hate the film! I understand that too. As for pure genius, it IS pure genius, and then again, it is not. I know it is pure genius; that is me being proud, not pretentious. It is, after all, my child. Ultimately it is up to the audience, but then again that does not matter either. You have to create for yourself. If NO ONE likes my film, then so be it! I will not do as others have done and bend to comply with someone's point-of-view.

"like it's their fault that you wanted to get rich quick and weren't willing to work for it. "

Once again, you are WAY off base! Money was not (and never is) my intent. If it were to sell, then great! That means I can shoot more film. If not, then that is cool too. It's all about being free.

As for working for it, let's see.... I wrote, produced, directed, cast, scouted, organized, performed all crew functions...yeah, I'd say I worked for it, as did everyone on the set(s) and in post-production. The sleepless hours, the months of coordinating people and times...it wasn't a walk in the park.

"but I?m sure you'll get better and better if you're really passionate about your filmmaking endeavors..."

We are always learning, as am I. The thing is, these films are complete and they are EXACTLY the way I want them to be seen. It's hard to promote or exhibit said films when NO ONE can think outside of the box and use their imagination. That is why critics are usually worthless; they pick away at something and compare it to this and that, when in reality, they do not make films! The public does the same thing. I always let myself go, and drift...right into the movie. That is how I enjoy film.

"finally, i'd like to leave you with a little something you wrote on your website:

'Influences:

I grew up with Star Wars, The Black Hole, Tron...you know, neo-classical sci-fi.'

hey, wait a sec...

i thought you said Hollywood's not..

but I thought.."

Thank you so much for leaving me with that thought, despite the fact that it has no relevance whatsoever. My influences are varied, and that is only what I listed. Now here is the thing...my influences have NOTHING to do with HOW I shoot film. That is why they are influences.

As for Star Wars, if you really did your homework, you would know that Lucas took a very independent approach to Star Wars, and then funded HIS OWN FILMS thereafter, because he disagreed with the Director's Guild of America.

The bottom line is...Hollywood does not matter, success and money does not matter, the inability for people to color outside of the lines does not matter. I do not have time to waste on such matters and everything you said is 100% irrelevant. If you like the films, fine...if you don't, then that is fine too. There are more and more people who are bored with the ordinary and the archaic methodology of the present day cinema scene. It is a time of change.

I am finding opposition in a creative medium that, like all creative mediums, should liberate the artist instead of holding them back. I am used to this. If I am considered a bad director, then I am cool with that. When someone makes an industry film with no creative control, I hope their paycheck compensates for their lack of integrity. Maybe I am the next Ed Wood, but at least I am doing it all on my own terms and staying true to my vision.

I am still here, and I am not going away. And neither are my films.

"Once again, you are WAY off base! Money was not (and never is) my intent. If it were to sell, then great! That means I can shoot more film. If not, then that is cool too. It's all about being free."

...but this was video.

Oh god this is so Fountainhead, I think I'm going to puke. You sir are no artistic martyr of the cinema. There are plenty of people here who love art films, such as myself. Everything from Bela Tarr and Michael Snow to Tarkovsky, Jodorwosky, and Wajda with plenty of good experimental stuff in between. Your film is no where near that level of mastery, poeticism, creativity, or depth. I don't even see that you have a basic understanding of cinema-your cuts are atrocious. This is just your basic 1st year film school dung. Genius...a different kind of cinema...LOL

And let's not further disgrace Ed Wood (he's not that bad), you might give Paul Morrisey a run for his money, though.

"There are more and more people who are bored with the ordinary and the archaic methodology of the present day cinema scene. It is a time of change."

Lead the way, Jean Luc, lead the way!

Edited by DavidSloan

FYI, here is the trailer for the last film I made.  Shot on 35mm by me as well.

This is just a little teaser trailer, I don't have enough web space for the entire film, but it gives you an idea.  It has screened at several film festivals in large US cities and been a finalist or finished in first place in all of them.

Deathdealer.com Trailer

DC

haha when i saw that e.c.u of the old man in your trailor, i thought it was brian cox for a second.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Ouch, harshness in this thread - but so long as it encourages the pursuit of higher standards, I guess that's redeemable!

As to the trailer - I think it's fairly clear where you've dug into your stock shot library. Nothing wrong with this, but might I suggest grading to a more consistent colour tone? I'm writing this the day after having seen it, but I remember there's something in there that looked suddenly very green.

Phil

Attempting drama without top quality actors in the low budget arena is not a smart idea.  To do drama effectively you need quality well trained actors, students just won't cut it.  The performance of your actors brings down the quality of the entire production.  Be honest, will your family and friends really want to sit through this "film?"

DC

That is very true. I'm shooting a small DV feature right after Christmas and it actually has some OK actors in it. Most have real experience, training or have worked as stage actors at Dallas Theatre Center. The director seems to have a good eye for the right people. It boggles my mind when I see really bad acting and actors. Espescially because if you send out casting calls in LA, New York or Texas you are usually bombarded by a billion actors and some of them actually have experience. I guess if you didn't live in one of those places it would be harder but you should still hire pros.

Hey,

"""I would not say that I "hate" the industry, per say.... you drew that conclusion on your own. I simply do not agree with the methods of Hollywood. According to Hollywood, Bela Lugosi was yesterday's news, but Ed Wood saw purpose in him, and he gave him purpose and made the last days of his life something special. How many director/producers in TODAY'S Hollywood climate would do that? I'd be surprised, if any, since there isn't a dollar sign attached to it."""

:huh:

"""I'd be surprised, if any, since there isn't a dollar sign attached to it."""

<_<

"""I'd be surprised, if any, since there isn't a dollar sign attached to it."""

:angry:

that's a false assumption (or can you back it up?).

that's also stereotyping hollywood directors and producers...and the last time i checked, stereotypes, for the most part, are usually bogus.

you'd be surprised how "hollywood" can help YOU with your filmmaking career if you give it a chance. don't waste time judging people you've never met and regurgitating media cliches about the rich and famous. these people, for the most part, are artists just like you. they wield the same swords and fight the same dragons as you do.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"""First and foremost, I do not create ANYTHING for anybody else but myself and for the sake of creativity. I did not make the mistake of doing what so MANY are doing these days, and write a film around the idea of making money or finding success. I create art, whether it is understood or not. They use to do that in the cinema world...once upon a time."""

you'd be surprised to see what i can create after eating 3 bean and cheese burritos.

:D

and who says art films no longer exist in the cinema world? just because names like Bruckheimer, Speilberg and Tarantino (Kaminsky, Hall, etc.) are attached to a film - that doesn't make it 'cliche hollywood garbage'.

if i decide i'm a genius, buy a Hi8 camcorder and read a Neitzche book or two, dye my hair black and listen to the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and make a short film - that hardly guarantees it will be any good.

these so called 'hollywood players' are where they are today because they are MASTERS of their trades.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"""A crappy movie? Everyone has their opinion, and I understand that not everyone is going to like my films. I am going against the grain, you know. People tend to favor complacency. Then again, they could simply hate the film! I understand that too. As for pure genius, it IS pure genius, and then again, it is not. I know it is pure genius; that is me being proud, not pretentious. It is, after all, my child. Ultimately it is up to the audience, but then again that does not matter either. You have to create for yourself. If NO ONE likes my film, then so be it! I will not do as others have done and bend to comply with someone's point-of-view."""

I wan't reffering to your film specifically (it's not that bad at all actually...i can see the formations of a good story trapped inside - but it needs a lot of work).

going against the grain? hell yeah.

just don't start breaking the rules before knowing what the rules are in the first place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"""We are always learning, as am I. The thing is, these films are complete and they are EXACTLY the way I want them to be seen. It's hard to promote or exhibit said films when NO ONE can think outside of the box and use their imagination. That is why critics are usually worthless; they pick away at something and compare it to this and that, when in reality, they do not make films! The public does the same thing. I always let myself go, and drift...right into the movie. That is how I enjoy film."""

True. but saying that NO ONE can think outside of the box, that critics are usually worthless and that the public is one misenformed entity instead of millions of people with opinions and different tastes - just shows me that you're making these films for a one person crowd. that' cool too. but you can't expect to post your films online and be showered with praise if your films don't possess something universal people can relate to.

i'm 22, but when i'm 50 i'll probably need a colonoscopy. should i bring my camera and document it? maybe i can make a cool 70mm blowup and release it in theaters!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"""There are more and more people who are bored with the ordinary and the archaic methodology of the present day cinema scene. It is a time of change."""

i couldn't agree with you more.

but you're not the only one out there who has something to say. and that's excellent that you're compassionate enough and smart enough to see the patterns in human nature which inspire stories, but you need to hone your skills, open your mind and learn the rules of filmmaking. read mckey's "STORY" for starters.

"""I am still here, and I am not going away. And neither are my films."""

let's hope not, but until your movies turn into 'films', you need some more practice and a little more understanding of the real hollywood and filmmaking in general.

and learn to embrace critisizm, not slip into denial every time someone questions your genious.

you can be the next Ed Wood if you really want to.

most definately.

Edited by TSM

Guest dpforum1968

Hey Phil,

There are no stock shots in the trailer you saw for Deathdealer.com.

What looks like a stock shot to you? You say "I think it's fairly clear where you've dug into your stock shot library." That's odd. Do you mean the fire? Yes it's a stock shot, but used only for the trailer not in the movie.

But in effect since I shoot the stock footage and the film, there is in effect no stock footage in the film at all. Make sense? :-)

Stock footage is defined as being shot by some one else, and used off the shelf in your production. Since I do both films and stock shots, all the footage is original and created by me.

Any whoo, with regard to colour correction you'll have to elaborate more on that.

Thanks for watching.

DC

Guest dpforum1968

DP? You mean DC? :-) It's ok I assume you mean me.

In answer to your questions:

lighting package: Hmmm kinda of a mix of stuff, lot's of 1Ks, and those tungsten ballanced flourescents. I really like the flourescents for shooting indoors in small rooms because they run very cool and provide a nice soft light. You have the option of running two bulbs or one.

stock: All indoor scenes are Kodak 5277 320T. Exteriors all 5245.

and budget of film: $3000.00 Canadian dollars or $2400.00 USD. How do we shoot on 35mm so cheap? Easy, use all short ends. Our only costs are film stock and transfers to D-Beta. I have all my own gear so we don't rent any thing. The cast and crew all work for pizza and thrill of being in or working on a movie. We have a friend who is a Hollywood gun master, he's done over 150 feature films. He comes on our sets and works with us for free. That's how we manage the realistic looking gun fire, and there's a lot of it in this film.

Also, what is the length of the project?: This is a 12 minute short film in the action thriller genre. We use it for festival submission and it's done well for us. Almost earning back its budget in prize money :-)

DC

i don't wanna sound cliche, but i really don't think there is such thing as a terrible movie. sure, by technical standards, the "films" aren't up to par..but isn't it art after all? im sure there are people out there that will find these movies to be inspiring and what not.