Who is the most prolific filmmaker, ever?

Guest captainchambers

Guest captainchambers

I am trying to research who is responsible for writing/producing/directing the most films, or at least who has directed the most. I am looking for one individual, preferably an autuer, that has the largest number of films under his/her belt. My research has led me to a gentleman in Spain, who has directed 150 films. Thank you for your input!

I was going to say John Ford, as well. While Griffith did direct over 500 films, much of those are 2 minute shorts. Let's not forget Stan Brakhage who created over 300 of his little experimental pieces.

Edited by DavidSloan

• Premium Member
Let's not forget Stan Brakhage who created over 300 of his little experimental pieces.

Excellent choice, especially when you factor in his many years of teaching and the large number of students who've seen his work and been influenced by his views in one way or another. Of course, when it comes to Hollywood, the same goes for John Ford.

Who was the gentleman from Spain? And where all his films shot on the plain?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Depending on how you count as there are many multi-part films and series, Stan Brakhage's output could be as high as 400.

I read somewhere that in narrative dramatic film, the most prolific was actually Alan Dwan.

altho 535 for Griffith ? Really ?

-Sam

• Premium Member

Allan Dwan has far more feature credits than DeMille or Huston -- in the sound era alone he directed over 75 features. His first directing credit is 1911 and his last is 1961. I think D.W. Griffith directed more films than Dwan but not more feature-length ones and definitely not more sound ones.

In the modern world, you'd have to look to Bollywood or Hong Kong to find a director with a record-setting number of feature credits.

i worked with jess franco 4 years ago.

I think he is the guy who has shoot more movies ever.

about 200 directed.

many more produced, acted scripted...about 30 erotic film under the name of his wife are really directed by him.

first assistant director for orson welles.

stanley kubrick´s idol.

I think woody allen doesn´t come close to this.

I can think many more names before allen.

Do you know Luis Buñuel?

Many asian directors shoot 3 or 4 films a year

Guest lonedog

I suppose with Woody Allen i was being a bit of an elitist towards answering the question, i immediately thought of the main stream cinema and not the cult film makers.

If you are going to combine the total of films written/produced/directed by the same person then i think Roger Cormans total of 413 films: 353 produced: 55 directed: 5 written would take a bit of beating.

Although i agree. Franco's total of 351 films: 182 directed: 154 written: 15 produced: is indeed monumental.

Who would hold the record for doing all three roles, writing/directing/producing of the same film?

• 11 months later...
Guest Christopher Heston

Takashi Miike I think would have to be the most recent prolific maniac in the feature film market. He's also in my opinion the most versitile; directing anything from musical comedies to ichi the killer.

-Chris

This question comes up in the world of music composition also, and it is important to take into account the total time spent producing. Though J.S. Bach certainly wrote a lot of music, he did so over a long life. There are other composers who, though they did not produce as much work in total, were more prolific if you divide total output by years spent composing. Franz Shubert is an example.

In film I don't know, but the Russian silent filmmaker Evgenii Bauer has got to be up there. Bauer began making films in 1913 at age 48. He died in 1917. Within 4 years he had directed 82 films!

http://www.gildasattic.com/bauer.html

The DVD "Mad Love: Three Films by Evgenii Bauer" contains a selection of only three of Bauer's films. Each film is roughly 45 minutes long.