Indian Camera Crew Hierarchy

Alex Worster

Simple question, what is the hierarchy within an Indian camera crew? In the States it DP>OP>1st (focus puller)>2nd>Loader and across the pond they have the clapper loader but what about it India? Searched google, no luck so thanks to anybody out there that has the answer.

Simple question, what is the hierarchy within an Indian camera crew? In the States it DP>OP>1st (focus puller)>2nd>Loader and across the pond they have the clapper loader but what about it India? Searched google, no luck so thanks to anybody out there that has the answer.

The clapper is just another name for the 2nd AC, just as the focus puller is another name for the 1st AC.

Namaste,

DOP plus Camera Operator

Chief Camera Assistant responsible for lighting and setting the exposure according to the guidance by the DP.

Camera Assistant: Focus Puller

Camera Assistant: Loader.

Clappers job is performed by the 2nd Assistant Director.

May have more than 2 assistants depending upon the project.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

• Premium Member
Chief Camera Assistant responsible for lighting and setting the exposure according to the guidance by the DP.

Clappers job is performed by the 2nd Assistant Director.

Interesting, a couple questions:

Do you have a gaffer in addition to the "chief Camera Assistant"?

Does the 2nd Assistant Director also fetch things, assist the 1st AC in building the camera in different configurations, etc? The 2nd AC does a lot more than clap the slate.

Nepalese film industry was adopting the Indian Camera Crew Hierarchy for long, so I posted according to that base.

I think, the gaffer is appointed in the international projects or high budget films rather than in the local productions, but I am sorry I am not the right person to answer this.

The direction department obviously does not help the camera department building the camera in different configurations.

With best regards,

• Premium Member
Does the 2nd Assistant Director also fetch things, assist the 1st AC in building the camera in different configurations, etc? The 2nd AC does a lot more than clap the slate.

Hi Chris,

there's a loader too. So I guess that just the clapping goes off to the AD dep.

Cheers, Dave