Canon EOS 5D Mark II used to film upcoming Harry Potter and Iron Man movies?

Speaking of the low-light sensitivity of the 5D, I ran across this video on Vimeo recently. All available light, no grading, etc:

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/05/18/sofias.../#comment-12203

It seems like it's only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to shoot 24p, uncompressed images onto a hard drive with this thing.

Badabing!!! the news i have been waiting for!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/26/canon-e...l-for-video-re/

Well not really, It's still a stills camera but full frame sensor HD movies with control!!. Who's the cheapest full frame on the block now red? *steps off soapbox*

It's still not 24p and it's not RAW. Maybe they will use several of them for some time-warp effect or something. There is no need for a film like that in that budget category to have to film an entire movie with a still camera.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
hi all

if the oscar winner ..slumdog millionare....managed couple of scenes on this camera....then anything is possible.....

Sorry to buck the bandwagon but Slumdog looked awful

when did the format ever matter to communicate emotions.......in story telling......

I'd argue its essential

Sorry to buck the bandwagon but Slumdog looked awful

I'd argue its essential

Ditto.

Then again, the 5DMk.II footage did look quite nice, albeit at, what, 12fps?

Of course, if there would have been *properly exposed* film footage anywhere in the movie, I'd argue that would've looked best.

A lot of things look better than grainy, underexposed, scanned film ;-)

I think "Pulp Fiction" would definitely give 5DMk.II a run for its money, shot on a film stock that is old enough to drink. . .

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know much about Harry Potter, but Ironman 2 is shooting a few days here and there using SI-2K Minis from Abel Cine Tech. The SI can shoot uncompressed RAW 12-bit 2K material and the camera head is about the siz of a pack of cigarettes, which is very useful in certain situations. And I happen to think that it has a great, natural, dare-I-say FILMIC look to it. Not sure what they are using for A camera.

The blog stated that Panavision lenses were mounted to the 5d. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll cover the vistavision sized chip in the camera:) But who knows? Maybe they made some special ones...

Panavision made a Primo to Canon lens mount that was made for the preview system which has since been made redundant, but they still have a few of these mounts around the place if anybody is in need of them. It does work on the 5dmkII as I have tried it. Not very practical though! Ha.