Canon EOS 5D Mark II used to film upcoming Harry Potter and Iron Man movies?

• Premium Member

Could be they were using them as some form of reference camera to do a quick on set grade, and just got it pannavised to look cooler (and cause they could afford it). I too doubt they'd really shoot too much on the camera, maybe some still image plate shots, and just wanted to use the same lenses? Dunno, though.

Hi Rajavel,

What format you shoot on is totally dependent on the story and as emotion is a vital ingredient in a story, I would go as far as to say that it is important.

In relation to Slumdog....unfortunately I can't comment as I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen it yet.

But somehow I can't think that either Harry Potter or Iron Man will shoot the whole film on the Canon 5d MrkII.

The banding problems and endless dof would just be a nightmare to deal with in these scenarios.

It's likely they're being used for reference photography - camera, lighting, vfx, continuity, etc. And even then they'll be being used as still cameras, not motion picture cameras.

Still rather amusing nevertheless.

• Premium Member
hi all

if the oscar winner ..slumdog millionare....managed couple of scenes on this camera....then anything is possible.....

when did the format ever matter to communicate emotions.......in story telling......

cheers...

Harry Potter and Iron man don't have the constraints on shooting in certain areas that Slumdog had. They wont use a substandard tool when they have access to the best there is.

The 5D2 was not used on Slumdog. It wasn't even out yet. I believe they used a 1D Mark III, for some undercranked shots.

The only reason to use the 5D2 on Iron Man or Potter would be for extreme low-light shots. The 5D2 has remarkable ISO/ASA sensitivity. With super-fast lenses, you can practically shoot in the dark.

Or maybe if they needed tiny cams for cramped angles in a car or something.

Edited by Tom Lowe

• Premium Member

Unless they've hacked the clock, they'll have to use it strictly for MOS. There's no way a major feature would tolerate the half assed 30 to 24 conversions that are available.

-- J.S.

The 5D2 was not used on Slumdog. It wasn't even out yet. I believe they used a 1D Mark III, for some undercranked shots.

The only reason to use the 5D2 on Iron Man or Potter would be for extreme low-light shots. The 5D2 has remarkable ISO/ASA sensitivity. With super-fast lenses, you can practically shoot in the dark.

Or maybe if they needed tiny cams for cramped angles in a car or something.

Ya Tom...it was Canon

EOS-D1 Mark III stills camera,

which can shoot bursts of up to 30

RAW images per second........and not 5D2

Hi Rajavel,

What format you shoot on is totally dependent on the story and as emotion is a vital ingredient in a story, I would go as far as to say that it is important.

In relation to Slumdog....unfortunately I can't comment as I'm one of the very few that hasn't seen it yet.

But somehow I can't think that either Harry Potter or Iron Man will shoot the whole film on the Canon 5d MrkII.

The banding problems and endless dof would just be a nightmare to deal with in these scenarios.

You are absolutely right.....what i meant was that if that film...harry potter.....requires an effect that could be satisfied by the 5D..then they might use it right......

but as u said i doubt they using it for the entire film....must be rumor....

thanks

Unless they've hacked the clock, they'll have to use it strictly for MOS. There's no way a major feature would tolerate the half assed 30 to 24 conversions that are available.

John, the rumor is that Iron Man, for example, has 5D2 with new firmware that allows 24p shooting. Perhaps some other upgrades as well. Certainly this would provide Canon with some serious bragging rights if it all works out.

• Premium Member
That link times out. What did it actually say? (Not that we should place much credence in a rumor from someone who can't even keep a web site up....)

-- J.S.

Actually, they were rumours posted on blogs, so there MUST be something to it:-)

I had no trouble just now. If it still doesn't work, try directly pasting the link below into your address bar.

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2009/05/14/rumo...on-man-movies-/

• Premium Member
Banding problems yes, because of the h.264 compression. Endless depth of field, um, no, it's a vistavision-sized chip.

But otherwise no obviously not.

P

Mr RHODES!!

This perverse fixation with shallow depth of field is the ONLY thing stopping all these enthusiastic and passionate young men from smashing down the doors of Hollywood and invoking a major, MAJOR, Paradigm Shift in the entire putrid, malodorous, moribund, corrupt, incestuous, perverted and OBSCENE system that currently governs what bloated faceless overfed multinational morally and culturally bankrupt plutocrats condescend of allow us to glimpse in the overpriced flea pits pustulating out of every shopping centre these days.

• Premium Member
The blog stated that Panavision lenses were mounted to the 5d. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll cover the vistavision sized chip in the camera:) But who knows? Maybe they made some special ones...

I was just wondering if what they really saw was some sort of digital director's viewfinder. Unless they were fully familiar with 35mm movie production, a casual observer probably would have no idea what that is for.

hi all

if the oscar winner ..slumdog millionare....managed couple of scenes on this camera....then anything is possible.....

when did the format ever matter to communicate emotions.......in story telling......

cheers...

I don't care what it was shot on; it looked like SH**.

The 5D though, I have to say, looked quite decent.

As far as winning a best cinematography award on Slumdog Millionaire, honestly, chalk it up to bleeding-heart liberals trying to appear pantheistic and awarding the best cinematography award to the best low-budget motion picture as some sort of consolation prize.

butts. . .

• Premium Member
Ya Tom...it was Canon

EOS-D1 Mark III stills camera,

which can shoot bursts of up to 30

RAW images per second........and not 5D2

Hi Rajavel,

Actually, the Canon 1D Mark III can shoot only approx 10fps. The 30 frames you refer to are the number of RAW frames the camera can store in its buffer before it has to stop shooting.

-Fran

I don't care what it was shot on; it looked like SH**.

The 5D though, I have to say, looked quite decent.

As far as winning a best cinematography award on Slumdog Millionaire, honestly, chalk it up to bleeding-heart liberals trying to appear pantheistic and awarding the best cinematography award to the best low-budget motion picture as some sort of consolation prize.

butts. . .

.....if u have to shoot slum sh**....it will look like sh** only...obviously it Wont look like a Chocolate Ad shot in Switzerland......guess the cinematographer did a great job in catering to the needs of the Director ...based on the requirement of the script. .. .

people can have opinions ...but am shocked to see such foul language on a site like this from such a senior....

respect ur experience though...

cheers!

people can have opinions ...but am shocked to see such foul language on a site like this from such a senior....

respect ur experience though...

cheers!

You didn't see any foul language. It was implied, but not there. I could've meant "shun" :-p uy I don't know how film sets are where you come from, but they tend to be pretty coarse and profane here. I'm sorry if I said anything to offend you. After you hear it for so long it does tend to rub off onto you. I could tell you stories about the guy at the lab too :blink:

As for a slum having to look ugly, the inside of an oil well, you could argue, has to look ugly too.

I honestly still think that a film that wins best cinematography has to look "pretty". It can be an alternative, grunge style of pretty, but it still has to be beautiful.

I mean, forget the photographers name, but there was a guy taking pictures of cigarette butts he picked up off the street with an 11x14" (280x350mm) view camera, and he made them look beautiful, at least in my opinion.

Technical competence that fits the story doesn't fit into my own personal definition of best cinematography.

I'd even go so far as to argue that some cameras, hell, even some *film stocks* are incapable of winning a best cinematography award. If you shot everything one one-speed blue sensitive only microfilm, you'd be in a tough bind for winning the award like with the SI-2K. Ditto if you were shooting 8mm analog video, like in Blair Witch.

Honestly, I think BWP is more award-worthy than Slumdog because it was totally new and creative with the use of an alternative format.

As for the 5D, I have no problem with it. The shots in Slumdog that used it were quite beautiful. It's the rest of the film (grainy, dirty 35mm and noisy, noisy digital) that I have a problem with.

Edited by Karl Borowski

• Premium Member
As for a slum having to look ugly, the inside of an oil well, you could argue, has to look ugly too.

And if you ever need to shoot one, here's the camera to use:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake-Why-Invest/index.htm

They're often used for shooting actual sh**.... ;-)

-- J.S.

Karl..i wasnt offended...was worried for the guys whom u called A** H****S.......

well Karl...its pretty coarse and profane in here where i work too.....thats how film sets have to be i guess....forget that!

i totally agree with u that it has to be beautiful....if cigarette butts could be made to look beautiful...why cant the 'grain'...dirt....scratch ...also look beautiful.....

more than the visual beauty.....i think its the feeling of beauty (emotion) that gets triggered by the strong visuals...cig butts or slum......

are'nt the following two sentences u mentioned are in a way contradicting each other.....???

___Technical competence that fits the story doesn't fit into my own personal definition of best cinematography.

____Honestly, I think BWP is more award-worthy than Slumdog because it was totally new and creative with the use of an alternative format.

...i believe.....best cinematography is that which manages to spark of 'that' emotion in the audience.......irrespective of format..or other tech details.

and morever i would lv to see that cig butts image u talking about....i am passionate about still photography too.....

thanks...cheers!

You can actually mount Primo's onto a 5dmk2. Although with the wider lenses you do get port holing.

I haven't tried the 35mm but I do know the 27mm vignettes however the 50mm does not. You also

have to be quite careful that the rear element does not protrude past the PV - EF mount or you will

do some nasty damage to your shutter a few of the primos are not usable for this reason.

Below is a picture taken with the 5d using,a 27mm Primo when i was doing some tests a few months back.

It is difficult to see with such a small output but their is some pretty hefty resolution loss on the sides of the images,

as you can imagine using a 35mm format lens on a vista vision equivalent format.

post-35518-1243153975.jpg