Camera Strapped to Actor

Jase Ryan

I'm trying to figure out what the best set up is to have a camera strapped to an actor so he always stays the exact same proportion in the frame, but everything else in the background moves. We are shooting on a Red camera and will be using a wide angle lens pointed at the actor.

Can someone please let me know how the best way to do this is? And how far away from the actor can we get the camera? Our widest lens is 18mm.

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to figure out what the best set up is to have a camera strapped to an actor so he always stays the exact same proportion in the frame, but everything else in the background moves. We are shooting on a Red camera and will be using a wide angle lens pointed at the actor.

Can someone please let me know how the best way to do this is? And how far away from the actor can we get the camera? Our widest lens is 18mm.

Thanks in advance!

Doesn't Doggicam make something like that.

• Premium Member
Doesn't Doggicam make something like that.

Yep, it's called a Bodycam. I could have easily posted a photo of one grabbed from http://www.doggiecam.com/ but some genius at Doggiecam has decided they wanted a 100% Flash animation website.

Fortunately it works to press the "PrtScn/SysRq" key on a Windows keyboard which places the page on the clipboard, "Paste" the image into a graphics program (I used good ole' Paint), edit the image ("Select Tool"), right click and "Copy", close Paint, open Paint, "Paste" the edited photo, "Save As" .jpg. All that fiddling because some marketing type wants bragging rights about his "Sophisticated Website" with his buddies at the local watering hole.

DISREGARD FLASH RANT, DOGGIECAM EMAILED ME BACK AND SAID TO DOUBLE CLICK ON ANY PHOTO IMAGE. THAT STOPS THE ANIMATION AND CHANGES THE CURSOR TO A HAND, THEN A SECOND DOUBLE CLICK POPS UP A WINDOW THAT GIVES ONE THE OPTION TO SAVE THE PHOTO AS A .JPG...OLD DOG LEARNS NEW TRICK!

Anyhow, here's what a Bodycam looks like:

post-10210-1242956209.jpg

post-10210-1242956226.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it's called a Bodycam. I could have easily posted a photo of one grabbed from http://www.doggiecam.com/ but some genius at Doggiecam has decided they wanted a 100% Flash animation website.

Fortunately it works to press the "PrtScn/SysRq" key on a Windows keyboard which places the page on the clipboard, "Paste" the image into a graphics program (I used good ole' Paint), edit the image ("Select Tool"), right click and "Copy", close Paint, open Paint, "Paste" the edited photo, "Save As" .jpg. All that fiddling because some marketing type wants bragging rights about his "Sophisticated Website" with his buddies at the local watering hole.

DISREGARD FLASH RANT, DOGGIECAM EMAILED ME BACK AND SAID TO DOUBLE CLICK ON ANY PHOTO IMAGE. THAT STOPS THE ANIMATION AND CHANGES THE CURSOR TO A HAND, THEN A SECOND DOUBLE CLICK POPS UP A WINDOW THAT GIVES ONE THE OPTION TO SAVE THE PHOTO AS A .JPG...OLD DOG LEARNS NEW TRICK!

Anyhow, here's what a Bodycam looks like:

It says to double click on any picture to save to your computer. It was small to read that's why you missed it first time.

I heard this awhile ago and don't know if its surly true or not but the shot looks amazing. In the film lock, stock and two smoking barrels, the scene where the main character has just lost the poker game the DP taped the tripod to the hips of the actor and had a cam assist support it. I would defiantly go with the doggicam rig though lol

If the camera is small enough, you can do anything really (duct tape and a 35-III doesn't seem like a great idea).

Sats, I had to go to doggicam in burbank to test it out. They will ship up here, but u know how that goes.

• Premium Member
If the camera is small enough, you can do anything really (duct tape and a 35-III doesn't seem like a great idea).

Sats, I had to go to doggicam in burbank to test it out. They will ship up here, but u know how that goes.

Quite easy to build if you have a low budget.

Shown with 5 x 5DMKII's

post-3524-1243884495.jpg