A NEW 65MM CAMERA

Leo Anthony Vale

That camera looks cool, but I don't see the point of having an economic alternative for 15/65 as 8 perf is still a very expensive endeavor. The 3d possibilities for this seem intriguing, but I think anything shot in 3d lends itself to use either a DI or HD in the first place. I don't see anyone shooting a 3d movie doing a photochemical finish.

Some timing . . . When a lot of shows are leaving 35mm in favor of high end HD, someone comes along with a more modern, portable (potentially sync sound) 65mm cam.

Unless the camera is used almost exclusively for eFx, really high end 3D or to take advantage of it as an alternative to the 15/70 (as the write-up touts), I can see some really big hurdles in the path of this camera becoming even a moderately successful acquisition system . . . It seems the makers would like to think it could, otherwise why sink so much money into it?

However, it is nice to see some companies are still betting on film as an origination medium. It seems at this point sinking $1 million for R&D in a 65mm film camera system is either visionary or completely insane.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

This is from Jonathan Kitzen. About a dozen years ago, he was an early importer of the Russian Konvas cameras.

MKBK is the Moscow Cine Apparatus Design Bureau.

Despite the german electronics this is basicly a russian camera.

In which case, the stereo system is probably the Russian Stereo70:

http://stereokino.ru/

& the older cameras they're modifying are likely these:

post-7981-1244149321.jpg

Stereo70 uses 2 S35 size frames in a 70mm frame.

Here's a page explaining how this can be used for an Imax digital blowup;

http://stereokino.ru/stereo70_LF.htm

post-7981-1244149767.jpg

It uses a German motor (Faulhaber?) and electronics and incorporates Magnesium in the body. That doesn't sound very Russian to me and it isn't a very good place to manufacture/assemble quality (at least not in the last 40 years) and if you want to make it really cheap, go to China...