Best Portable 16mm Viewer/Editor

James Mehr

There was a cool viewer called (i think) the KVS-Pro or something similar, that was a Craig viewer with a sound head mounted below for sync/mag track editing, it looked very handy. The Craig viewers are very cheap and easy to find, but not as nice as the Moviscop.

• Premium Member

I've got a Moviscop I'd like to get rid of. $50? I bought it awhile ago used but never used it, bulb works. My favorite tabletop viewer was the Moviola M50 (I think that was the model#). Best picture this side of a flatbed.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

Hi all,

I agree that the Zeiss Ikon Moviscop 16mm viewer is a very good one - not so crisp and sharp a picture perhaps, due to it´s spinning prism, but it is very easy on the original film (no scratches if you keep it meticulously clean in the gate).

It is very bright, extremely simple to load and easy to use overall. However, no frame height adjustment in my machine.

I have taken out the black mask behind the viewing screen for a full frame.

Another very fine 16mm editor is the Minette 'Sixteen' editor, which is very, very rare these days. We have one at work and the image is more steady than in the Moviscop, due to a stainless steel pressure plate, much like the Minette S-5 Super 8mm counterpart. It is gray in color and cast in metal - no plastic parts, except for a nylon film guiding wheel or two. It has a frame height adjustment, which works very well. A very sturdy and well-engineered product, in my opinion.

I will try to obtain one myself, if possible (eBay). I saw one there last year but it was in a terrible state.

Best,

Bengt in Stockholm

Hi all,

The editor that they are marketing at Kahl-film looks really amateurish to me - like the regular Super 8 amateur or family editor, with too small handles, permanently attached to the editor body. That is really tedious for your shoulders and wrists, if you are committed and want to spend long hours in your screening/ editing room.

What you want are big adjustable friction handles, that are about 1 meter apart, for the best ergonomic position.

The standard 70s 16mm professional editing set-up, that is.

Best,

Bengt in Stockholm ;)

Zeiss Moviscop have a very small "image" and a very warm yellow light even with OSRAM HLX HALOGEN lamp, and the picture jumps a lot. But it is very easy to load with film.

Kahl-film Kupawa has a larger picture, but as previously written, the risk of scratches larger because it is more difficult to load the film, the light is slightly whiter than Moviscope. The picture jumps some even with Kupawa.

• 4 weeks later...
I've got a Moviscop I'd like to get rid of. $50? I bought it awhile ago used but never used it, bulb works. My favorite tabletop viewer was the Moviola M50 (I think that was the model#). Best picture this side of a flatbed.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

hi bruce,

still have that moviscop for sale? i have old 16mm footage i need to review. let me know when you can.

thanks, Mel Chin

• 8 months later...
Another very fine 16mm editor is the Minette 'Sixteen' editor, which is very, very rare these days. We have one at work and the image is more steady than in the Moviscop, due to a stainless steel pressure plate, much like the Minette S-5 Super 8mm counterpart. It is gray in color and cast in metal - no plastic parts, except for a nylon film guiding wheel or two. It has a frame height adjustment, which works very well. A very sturdy and well-engineered product, in my opinion.

I have one complete set of gray-colored Minette SIXTEEN editor with the Minette DELUXE manual-operated Rewinder, which is an excellent product. I also have a black-colored Minette EIGHT editor/viewer. SIXTEEN is very rare though! Try the Japanese auction sites with translation...

Edited by Erkan Umut

If you want to do track laying as well, although also great for picture cutting, (you can get motorised versions) the Acmade Pic Sync the later versions (the Competitor) had quite large screens and a de clutch able track for syncing. UK industry film cutting room standard kit in the 1970s & 80's.