B+W stock for indoor day/night shooting

Johnny Gorry

Hello-

I have an event that I have decided to film and I would like to use black and white super 8 film. The only problem is that it is indoors and will be going from about 3pm-10pm.

I do not have an XL camera for low light. I have an agfa movexoom 10.

I have experimentally shot both tri-x and plus-x with another (better camera-beaulieu 6008 which is now dead and buried) in this type of lighting and always got VERY DARK results.

Is it possible to commit to shooting indoors day/night with b+w stock, and if so, can someone please be so kind as to give me some pointers to help the film come out better.

I really want this on b+w but I feel that I may have to go to 500 asa color film in that type of lighting.

All of your advice and comments would be so very appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and give it your consideration.

hello.

I have shot tri-x at night indoors and had no problems. However, i used a lot of lights, all 500watt quartz halogen. If memory serves, i used around 6 bounced for large interiors, and 3 joined together for a hard key light for close shots.

You can buy them from hardware stores very cheaply. If possible pick up a 1000watt light. Also reflectors are really handy! glue some tinfoil to a cut down cardboard box, or spray paint the cardbourd white. (use primer first!)

Also, use as many house lights and lamps as possible, even flourescent. As you are shooting B&W, the colour temp of the lights will not affect your film.

grab some halogen work lights, light it up till your exposure hits 5.6, and shoot with confidence!

cheers.

grab some halogen work lights, light it up till your exposure hits 5.6, and shoot with confidence!

I cannot supplement with any additional lighting. I am helping out a friend by shooting a little super8 for their wedding/reception. I'll have to work with existing lighting.

We were trying to shoot it in b+w, but I guess I may have to go with 500 asa.