Question about "camcorder viewfinder" effects

Mike Nichols

I know, it's not the most original stylistic choice, but it serves the story. I have a few video shots to cut into my film, which are to be shown as the POV through the camcorder viewfinder. I've created a couple of mockups that basically mimic the viewfinder display of some of my old Sony Handycams, but it seems to busy. From an stylistic point of view, what are some opinions on how to handle this? With NOTHING on the screen, it just looks like piss poor transfers. Should I just put a blinking REC someone in the frame and call it a day?

• Premium Member

Were it me I would do a viewfinder with "record" and a red light (bottom), a safe zone and center cross hairs, battery on upper left (outside of safe zone) and timecode upper right. I'd say that'd be believable and not too busy 

Were it me I would do a viewfinder with "record" and a red light (bottom), a safe zone and center cross hairs, battery on upper left (outside of safe zone) and timecode upper right. I'd say that'd be believable and not too busy 

That's kind of what I have. Only problem, and this small caveat is only something people who understand these things will notice, is that the film is in 2.35:1 AR so the wide screen crosshairs look a little wonky. I think I might go with 4:3 cross hairs.

• Premium Member

Hi Mike,

IIRC American Beauty had some nice examples of this type of effect. I thought it was really well done there. I'd really keep it realistic, most examples you see (especially on TV) look very fake.

Cheers, Dave