Haven't had much feedback

The first shot was nice, the second shot was horrible. It looked like you tripped. There was also no light on the subject. The shot in the gallery starts with the man completely out of focus, his head is chopped off and he is just very large in the frame. I realize he is not the subject of the shot so you could trim the head of the shot and maybe extend the tail a little. I don't like the fact that the guy in the derby is completely dark. The projected images are OK but repetitive. The crushed egg action is missed because the hand goes out of frame, the B&W of the girl doesn't do much for me. The medium close up of the guy in the hat is ok but there is no action. The end is just a light bulb and nothing else is lit. In film the lightbulb is the motivating source and it gives you the opportunity to use a film light to light something else. You missed the opportunity. Use your best footage only and don't use something just because that's just what you have. You will be constantly dropping stuff as you build your reel. I'm sure the stuff you will be replacing it with will be better. It's good to have a short reel. You will get better with time and practice. That thing that bugs me with most reels on this site is that too much footage is dark. I know a lot of people will say, "It's not too dark. I like it dark," but as a DP you have to show you can light and make things look pretty. Or in some cases dramatic. But dramatic doesn't always mean dark. Caleb Deschanel once told me that he usually likes to have at least one area in a frame that is over exposed. Bob Richardson does the same thing. Take your shot of the guy picking the fruit from the tree. It was a very nice shot but shot would have looked a little snappier if he had a rim light or a little backlight. Keep at it though. You wanted honesty. I see that this site can be somewhat of a mutual admiration society when it comes to reels.

Hi Justin,

I would take out the shot of the 2 guys in the white studio. It just doesn't bear well on the rest of your reel, which I think is of a good standard.

Unlike Tom, I actually really like the b&w shot of the girl facing the mirror and I also think that the lightbulb shot is a nice arty shot.

As you said, all the work on there was done whilst at film school. You had loads of limitations and hurdles to leap over.....

IMO I think you have something good enough to show, for ppl to give you the breaks that you need to do more indulgent jobs.

Thank you guys for that, I really appreciate the honest, detailed advice. I don't really have enough footage to advance my reel at this point, but I'll never quit at it. And I kinda like the fact that one person likes one thing and another doesn't. Isn't that what were all trying to do? Stir up a little controversy with our work? I'm not saying that my little 3 minute amateur reel has controversy haha. But thanks again.

-Justin

• Premium Member
Thank you guys for that, I really appreciate the honest, detailed advice. I don't really have enough footage to advance my reel at this point, but I'll never quit at it. And I kinda like the fact that one person likes one thing and another doesn't. Isn't that what were all trying to do? Stir up a little controversy with our work? I'm not saying that my little 3 minute amateur reel has controversy haha. But thanks again.

-Justin

you have some very nice shots in there. considering that this is all film school projects the production values are fairly high. i feel that production value can be just as important as composition, lighting or camera movement.

based on that i would lose the tail of the first B&W shot. i understand why you have it there. i get the gag. but for a short reel i think its too distracting.

i also think you can shorten the whole thing and use more energetic music. i am a big fan of a reel being no longer than 60 sec. it should feel like a commercial for your work. lingering on shots too long sometimes just feels like you're trying to stretch out the reel. dont get me wrong. lingering on a couple of shots can be engaging but it should be the exception instead of the rule.

but thats just me

Guest Thomas McDaniel

The black and white stuff looked out of place. Liked the woods stuff, beach and art gallery bits the best. Perhaps leave those running a little longer as i thought they cut away too soon?

Regards

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hey Justin;

Just quickly watched the new cut, but it certainly feels a bit too short for me, maybe aim for a good minute or so of reel. I personally feel that's a good TRT for these types of things .

The footage looks good, though I'm not a bigfan of that shot of the artwork with the guys head choppped and the cuton the girl in the mirror needs to be trimmed just a few moments before the pan away.

• Premium Member

Not a problem at all. And believe me, I know the pains of cutting a reel. I hate having to reevamp mine (i generally just keep the song once I do it for a bit and replace shots). And when I first got started I had utter crap for the reel

Thankfully, I think I got rid of all those early "incarnations" online ;). Though, I'm sure enough googling 'round can find some of my crappier things :/

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice, i'll recut what I got and repost it.

Here's the commercial that has been talked about the most just to give a little insight.

http://www.vimeo.com/4418251

-Justin

Is that YOUR camera work there? I like it a lot. Some of the direction doesn't do too much for me--but the feel and the lighting and the movement and the subtle shifts in focus. . .a HUGE F*^K YEAH!