arri 235

zrszach

I see they are for rent on the CSC web site for $800 per day.

Is this camera just a smaller 435 as far as features?

If you have used one, how was it?

Hi man,

I have used it in a workshop conducted my arri this month. Mr. Mark shipman muller was conducting the workshop here in india. It is very handy and light weight, this is the modern arri IIc camera which is much lighter then IIc. I had many advantages for especially shooting in steadicam. I think we don't need 435 because all the properties which are in 435 are available in this also,except the 150fps and some other special effects properties.

We can shoot with this like miniDV camera. We had a critical situation in shooting inside a toilet which can accomodate only one person at a time. But how the camera man will look through, so we fixed the camera on the corner of the toilet where 235 is fixed correctlyand through the monitor out we all commanded the actor inside.

• 7 months later...
  • Premium Member

There is no way the 235 is a replacement for the 435. For one it doens't have an electronic shutter and does not do 150fps, so for speedramps it is not your ideal camera.

You are right, the biggest mags it takes are 400ft ones.

As stated it is a replacement for the aging 2C - It's advantages are it is lightweight, very simple to use and you can accessorise it to kingdom come. I think its main competitor in function (not price) is an Arri LT and Moviecam Compact. The controls are simple enough and take about an hour to wrap your head around

The problems - it is a simple camera, does not get a very fast fps, takes 52000 accessories - so changing stuff around can take time, there were no chargers for the onboard battery pack (as of 2 weeks ago in the UK) so you are still on a belt or power pack. It is fairly quiet at 25fps but gets noiser the faster you go. It could be used as a SYNC camera (the noise was very low in a studio I was in but still audible) for outdoors stuff - but is designed as a MOS camera

If I had to do shoot days and days of handheld with Whip follow focus - then I would use it

If you are looking for 435 functionality from a 235 - then you are not going to get it (Shutter and frame rate) but you can plug in all the accessories and get LDS, VA, etc etc - but it is going to look like the insde of Apollo13 and then you may as well get a 435 or LT

But go check it out it is a damn sexy bit of kit - with a new master prime...

My 2 cents

Thanks

Rolfe

• Premium Member
But go check it out it is a damn sexy bit of kit - with a new master prime...

My 2 cents

Thanks

Rolfe

Hi,

I think the Master Primes are so heavy, I would have thought the Super Speeds would be the way to go if your hand holding all day!

Stephen

I think that the beauty of the 235 is being able to handhold all day and rig anywhere. For commercials and music videos it lets you get closer, easier.

Michael Bay bought one for "the Island" and used it constantly.

What I don't understand is how Arri can justify pricing the one sided follow focus (FF-1) at around $5000.

Logan Schneider

DP

I was the 1st ac on the Island, we shot what I figured 16% of the movie with this camera, its lightweight and Ideal for a lot of situations. We stayed away fron the onboard batteries and opted for belts, the onboards only add more weight to the side of the camera and make it less balanced. Micheal loved having the c series 100mm, or 75mm anamorphic lense on it. We usually kept the viewing system off, and operated with an onboard monitor, not the Arri version, but a transvideo because its larger, we also opted for the steadicam low mode bracket as the handle because of its various 3/8 threaded mounting holes. The follow focus I will say is pricey, but you can also mount a preston to it. The viewing system is supurb, but the only set back is no Arri Glow. I was very skeptical about this camera in the begining, I mean single pull down registration and 60fps? It was rock solid, I couldnt believe it. A RCU can be used for remote start up, and the menu is pretty simple to navigete around. Its noisey though. 435 400' mags work on it and I understand they are making a 400' dolphin mag for it. Its a great camera. It in no way was designed to replace the 435, no you can do a ramp shutter change, the shutter is mechanical, and when you push the phase button, the menu will let you know where the shutter is set. Again my only dislike was that it has no Arri glow, when you're operator cant see the frame lines through the eyepiece, then there may be a small problem. And if anyone is interested, I have a great picture of the 235 mounted to a Panavision Primo 3-1 Anamorphic zoom.

Larry

• 5 months later...

Was talking to an Arri employee back in December who was telling me that he felt that this would end up being the last proper Arri film camera made. Apparently R&D has massively shifted over to D20 and successor technologies. Anyone else care to discuss?

• Premium Member
Was talking to an Arri employee back in December who was telling me that he felt that this would end up being the last proper Arri film camera made. Apparently R&D has massively shifted over to D20 and successor technologies. Anyone else care to discuss?

Well, it's getting harder to figure out what to do differently in designing a new 35mm camera, short of maybe putting in an HD video tap (and that could probably be retrofitted to current cameras.) Or making it cheaper, I guess. Maybe 2-perf options. But I'm not sure there is much more room for improvement in a camera like the Arricam. You run up against the basic requirements to run 35mm film through them, use 1000' loads, etc. so there are limits to how much more you can reduce the size and weight.

Same with 35mm SLR's -- how much more room for advancement is there in that technology?

I think the current Arri technology will suffice for several years, by which time Arri will probably have figured out if there is a market need for new 35mm camera designs.

I guess I'm just saying that it's not necessarily a cause for concern that Arri doesn't see the need to develop new 35mm cameras since the ones they make now do everything you need a 35mm camera to do -- it's not necessarily an indication that 35mm is on the decline, just that the technology is relatively stable currently. You can't apply the same mentality that goes behind electronic tools that get obsoleted every year by better versions.

• Premium Member
And if anyone is interested, I have a great picture of the 235 mounted to a Panavision Primo 3-1 Anamorphic zoom.

Larry

I'd love to see it. I saw an interesting picture of David Emmerichs running with the camera attached to some kind of pole mount in low mode. I was curious why he wasn't just doing steadicam. Any info on that would be appreciated.

• Premium Member

As David mentioned, there probably aren't too many directions left in terms of 35mm camera design. However, we can hopefully count on the good folks at Kodak (and Fuji) to continue to evolve 35mm film technology. To keep things interesting, they will hopefully try to keep one step (or two) ahead of the evolving quality of video. (looking forward to Vision 3!)