House of flying daggers

Come on, Freya! You can do better than this. At least hit us with some gorgeous screencaps or something! :lol:

:)

I think I was trying to express that I was a bit lost for words, I was also hoping someone might join me. Sadly I don't have a setup to do screencaps but I found these on the internet:

1.jpg

38.jpg

house-of-flying-daggers-41_c1445d1b222a7849f2939cc693111be4.jpg

To me they don't entirely convey the magic of the colours and stuff but that might be because I'm typing this on an LCD screen.

Actually those don't look too bad together. :)

This is an incredibly beautiful film. I got a copy off ebay for £0.99 all in. The seller said the dvd was slightly scuffed. Turned out it was VERY scuffed to my eye but it still played fine so I was able to watch this amazing film. Because I was worried the disc might not play so well I put it straight into the player to test it and was totally unprepared for what came on screen.

The first thing that shocked me was when they arrived in the palace type building and I could not make up my mind if it was a set or a real building they were using and had tarted up. I decided after a while it must be a real building as they couldn't build a set that beautiful. A while later I decided that it had to be a set as nothing could look that beautiful in real life. I still feel slightly confused. I was just recovering from that when the dancing started with the scarves as shown above. The coreography was GREAT and while they were obviously cheating everything through very basic editing I thought the whole scene worked really well. I don't want to talk too much about this scene as it will spoil the scene for you but I loved it and thought it was the best moment in the film.

The plot is okay but VERY predictable. I guessed where it was going very early on but really this film is not about the plot but the amazing moving pictures.

I was in shock after watching the film and it really changed my attitude about what was possible.

The next morning I realised this film is by our friend who made raise the red lantern and was freaking out as a few years back I bought a copy of the film Not One Less by the same guy and was now really worried I didn't buy the other cheap film that I could have bought by the guy. Thankfully I hadn't let myself down, the allure of cheap dvds marked Mandarin had been too much and I had bought both! Still sitting in their shrink wrap I will definitely be watching them shortly. :)

love

Freya

Theres kind of a big green theme later on in the film. Some of it's so green I wondered if you could key it! Strange choice of colour but I think it kind of works the way they have done it:

house-of-flying-daggers-32_944d0f98acb6660c364c788734fd93fc.jpg

house-of-flying-daggers-29_0aa5d0680fc7d885e2af59ce36a5648f.jpg

house-of-flying-daggers-20_e0222a424a731cb2c7b912f2ba05f74c.jpg

house-of-flying-daggers-42_b1bf6c8000f322755c11b72b967c0728.jpg

Has nobody else on here seen this film?

I really recommend you check it out. It was marketed after the success of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and was aimed at a mass audience in spite of the subtitles, so you should be easily able to pick up a cheap copy on ebay. as I say I paid 99p for my copy, even if you have to pay a little more than that it should still be a real bargain. :)

If you like you can even turn the sound right down and just watch the visuals.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

I really recommend you check it out. It was marketed after the success of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and was aimed at a mass audience in spite of the subtitles, so you should be easily able to pick up a cheap copy on ebay. as I say I paid 99p for my copy, even if you have to pay a little more than that it should still be a real bargain. :)

Loved the way this movie and "Hero" looks, more than I do "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (I recognize that the soft colors and contrast were meant to emulate Chinese watercolor, but I think it just ends up looking a bit flat. I much prefer Peter Pau's great work on "The Bride with White Hair", which I recommend checking out -- not the sequel though.)

• Premium Member

house_of_flying_daggers02.jpg

House of Flying Daggers is one of my favorite Mandarin films. I love the green. I also love the red, and most of the other colors in the film.

I own all three movies in what I call this trilogy: Crouching Tiger, Hero and House of Flying Daggers. They are all beautifully shot, BUT I have to say that

House of Flying Daggers is my favorite of the three.

On a total tangent, can someone find me some information on this film?

According to the website, its a take on Hansel and Grethel. Anyone know this film?

The below shot I thought was both beautiful and emotionally full.

jenicek_a_marenka13.jpg

Loved the way this movie and "Hero" looks, more than I do "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (I recognize that the soft colors

Guess what has just arrived in the post for me! Yes a copy of Hero! :) Actually there was also a copy of Tobe Hoopers "crocodiles", "Bless this child" and "Children of the living dead", not to mention a yellow box set of movies that Quentin Tarantino once said that he liked and had influenced Kill Bill! (I kid ye not!).

The copy of Hero was also 99p. I notice that it says presented by Tarantino at the top, so it seems clear that many people who bought stuff because it said Tarantino on it are now selling it again, as it is "out". Thus tis a great time to buy things like Hero and flying daggers. :) I encourage anybody here who havn't seen these films to grab a copy! I mean the price is cheap and the cinematography is great! Do you care if some people have decided Tarantino is uncool this week or not!? I mean these aren't even films by him!!!

and contrast were meant to emulate Chinese watercolor, but I think it just ends up looking a bit flat. I much prefer Peter Pau's great work on "The Bride with White Hair", which I recommend checking out -- not the sequel though.)

I've never even heard of "The bride with white hair" at all so that sounds really interesting! Will definitely try and find out more! :) Thanks for the recommendation.

love

Freya

My favorite part of 'hero' is that the moral of the story is that a ruthless dictator who uses his army to kill everyone who stands in his way is actually better for the people then maintaining their individual cultures and standing up for themselves.

house_of_flying_daggers02.jpg

Thanks so much, thats exactly the kind of shot I was trying to find to portray that part of the film. :)

I own all three movies in what I call this trilogy: Crouching Tiger, Hero and House of Flying Daggers. They are all beautifully shot, BUT I have to say that

House of Flying Daggers is my favorite of the three.

You know, you are not the only one calling this a trilogy. They are about to release a blu-ray box set with exactly these 3 films together! :) Obviously Ang Lee directed crouching tiger but Zhang Yimou directed the other 2 and sometimes people also link in a 3rd film by him called "Curse of the golden flower" as a trilogy of these kind of films. Sadly Curse of the golden flower is not available for 99p. I managed to track down a sort of cheap copy but it wasn't easy. This is why I'm encouraging people to grab these films as it is such an opportunity to get hold of something you normally wouldn't have such easy access to. These films as you listed thus do make a great trilogy of these films that were accessible in the west. :) Grab them all while you can I say!

Also I keep meaning to say that Zhang Yimou is an ex cinematographer which makes his films extra interesting to people here.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

You know, you are not the only one calling this a trilogy. They are about to release a blu-ray box set with exactly these 3 films together! :) Obviously Ang Lee directed crouching tiger but Zhang Yimou directed the other 2 and sometimes

Okay I got this completely wrong! The Blu Ray release is a box set of:

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Curse of the Golden Flower, House of Flying Daggers Trilogy"

Er yes, neither fowl nor fish. I would have thought your idea would have made more sense! However there is a major upside to this as it should make the golden flower movie much more available too! So while it doesn't make a lot of sense it's kind of actually good news! :)

love

Freya

I've never even heard of "The bride with white hair" at all so that sounds really interesting! Will definitely try and find out more! :) Thanks for the recommendation.

love

Freya

Bride with White Hair is great. As are the Chinese Ghost Story series, and Dragon Inn and the Swordsman part 2. These movies all have something to do with Tsui Hark in his hayday (IMHO), and the wire work is amazing.

But as far as visually stunning, I don't think they compare to Hero, or House of Flying Daggers.

Bride with White Hair is great. As are the Chinese Ghost Story series, and Dragon Inn and the Swordsman part 2. These movies all have something to do with Tsui Hark in his hayday (IMHO), and the wire work is amazing.

But as far as visually stunning, I don't think they compare to Hero, or House of Flying Daggers.

Ah yes I've been trying to get to see the original chinese ghost story but are you saying the sequals are really good too?

love

Freya

Ah yes I've been trying to get to see the original chinese ghost story but are you saying the sequals are really good too?

Yes, I have seen Chinese Ghost Story 1 -3 and enjoyed them all. It was a fairly big franchise in Hong Kong, it also spawned a cartoon and a TV series (neither of which I have seen)

• Premium Member

There's no good DVD transfer of "The Bride with White Hair" unfortunately, it's a fuzzy, dirty 4x3 transfer of a print with a 2.40 letterbox and big white subtitles burned into the 2.40 frame, but here are some frames to give you an idea of the anamorphic photography:

bridewwh1.jpg

bridewwh2.jpg

bridewwh3.jpg

bridewwh4.jpg

bridewwh5.jpg

bridewwh6.jpg