Super 8 and F-Stop

Robert Capria

I hope this question isn't too elementary. I have a Nizo 6080 and want to shoot a stop-motion

project. I have a few rolls of film in my refrigerator. I have Kodak 64T and Vision 200. I also

have a few rolls of black and white reversal (I think 100 ASA). I'm building a little diarama set

and will have some characters with wire armature. I will rent lights but have to do a little research

on how to light it from a few angles and how to go about that.

I know a lot of professional DPs like to shoot at F4 for the shallow DOF. Should this model be folllowed for Super 8 filmmaking. I was thinking of renting a lighting kit with 300s and 150s.

I saw a doc on Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas" and they were using weaker lights.

I hope I'm not boring people with such basics but I want to do it right. I've usually don't go too

wrong with my camerawork by just making sure everthing is in focus, framing nicely and exposed rightly. The look I'm going for will be high contrast.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter, please let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

Shallow focus is a combination of aperture and field of view. For most formats, particularly smaller gauge formats, you need to film with large apertures / telephoto lenses for the background to noticeably go out of focus. At f4, S-8 won't give you too much shallow focus for the master shots, if any, is that the widest aperture your lens can handle?

Shallow focus is a combination of aperture and field of view. For most formats, particularly smaller gauge formats, you need to film with large apertures / telephoto lenses for the background to noticeably go out of focus. At f4, S-8 won't give you too much shallow focus for the master shots, if any, is that the widest aperture your lens can handle?

I agree, you definitely won't get shallow DOF at F4 with Super 8. I would also reconsider renting lights, stop motion is very time consuming so even for a short movie it will take you a long time to do and you could save some money with lights you have at home. For example a desk lamp, pocket light etc. try experimenting before you rent expensive professional lights.

I agree, you definitely won't get shallow DOF at F4 with Super 8. I would also reconsider renting lights, stop motion is very time consuming so even for a short movie it will take you a long time to do and you could save some money with lights you have at home. For example a desk lamp, pocket light etc. try experimenting before you rent expensive professional lights.

Thanks guys. The Nizo has a 6-80 Zoom and I think it can go as wide as 1.4. I have charge the battery and check the meter to confirm this.

yes, those are the specs for that lens.

The good thing, Robert, is that when you shoot a stop motion film you can have a very controlled environment, you will shoot on a stable tripod and you can use the longer focal lengths with aperture wide open to get some shallow DOF.