My first showreel :) please feel free to critique!

iroc_alz

• 2 weeks later...

In your first shot of your reel, it looks like 16mm. Was it super 16 or regular? And did you apply an filter? It seems the blues stick out more. Maybe a B level filter but where the lights tungsten or daylight? This info will help me a lot. Thanks

The next couple of shots where an aesthetic gritty look was sculpted, was that pure tungsten with the walls bouncing off all the green to create that mood? Or did you apply any gels?

In your first shot of your reel, it looks like 16mm. Was it super 16 or regular? And did you apply an filter? It seems the blues stick out more. Maybe a B level filter but where the lights tungsten or daylight? This info will help me a lot. Thanks

The next couple of shots where an aesthetic gritty look was sculpted, was that pure tungsten with the walls bouncing off all the green to create that mood? Or did you apply any gels?

Nice Work BTW

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry about late replies. I was completely swamped with life.

As for the questions the first shot was shot on a cheap mini-dv panasonic camera. I colour graded it and blurred it to make it look alot more like film. The second shot with the gritty interior was shot on 35mm film that was around 15yrs old and bleach bypassed chemically. I only used one blondie from outside the window. cant quite remember what stock it was because there was no label on it. i think it was kodak 400.

I am currently trying to get more dp work but i am also heading towards colour grading. I have a complete workstation now and im loving it. I would like to know if anyone is interested in me colour grading they're footage? I want to try to get my name out there.

I am located in sydney, Australia and i would be happy to hear from anyone anywhere anytime!

cheers Alban,

p.s: great forum, great people!

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, sorry about late replies. I was completely swamped with life.

As for the questions the first shot was shot on a cheap mini-dv panasonic camera. I colour graded it and blurred it to make it look alot more like film. The second shot with the gritty interior was shot on 35mm film that was around 15yrs old and bleach bypassed chemically. I only used one blondie from outside the window. cant quite remember what stock it was because there was no label on it. i think it was kodak 400.

I am currently trying to get more dp work but i am also heading towards colour grading. I have a complete workstation now and im loving it. I would like to know if anyone is interested in me colour grading they're footage? I want to try to get my name out there.

I am located in sydney, Australia and i would be happy to hear from anyone anywhere anytime!

cheers Alban,

p.s: great forum, great people!

Hey, First of all great job. Colours and compositions were mind blowing as were lighting.

Almost all the shot were static except with the girl in blue tights. I was expecting some complex shots as well.

Good work.

What is there looks good, and I don't mind the static iagery in and of itself at all. I do think that selecting some shots with more movement would make the reel feel less long, however. It seems like there isn't enough to see to be worth a whole two minutes.

I'd personally shorten the amount of time spent on each shot or, like the others have mentioned, select shots to hold for this length that are more complex in movement. I think that would add more interest to the video and do it for me personally. Just my two cents worth....

Repeating, however, that what's there does look good. I just feel it should be better presented.