Looking for Shotlist Software

morten forsberg

Does anybody know of a decent software for writing shotlists?

Im getting tired of just typing shotlists in word....:)

Im hoping someone has made a software that allows you to input extra informations about the shots, ie craneshots etc and with a touch of a button call up all the crane shots

there should also be a software with the possibility to integrate storyboard sketches easily

any tips?

morten

dop

www.mortenforsberg.com

thanks!

I'll try that one out.

i guess that word and excel are fine for writing down the shots, but what im after is something that helps me communicate my shotlist with other departments so that they easily can find the information important to them, as well as linking storyboard drawings and practical info regarding locations, special equipment need etc.

and so far Celtx seems like the best option

m

• Premium Member
what im after is something that helps me communicate my shotlist with other departments so that they easily can find the information important to them, as well as linking storyboard drawings and practical info regarding locations, special equipment need etc.

and so far Celtx seems like the best option

m

Isn't that exactly what the AD does with the callsheets for the day? Special equipment needs, sets, props, wardrobe, etc. are listed by scene in the callsheet.

Edited by Chris Keth

Yeah Celtx is ok, but it still doesn't cover my needs unfortunately.

to specify:

Ive got a shotlist of more than 400 shots, and now i would like to add storyboard images and still photos to some of the shots.

I can write the shotlist in Celtx, but I haven't found a way of exporting the shotlist to the storyboard mode.

So if I want to add images to some of the shots I have to write the shotlist all over again in the storyboard!

also, it seems that I cant add shots to the storyboard without an image. Sure, I can just add a generic "empty frame" or something, just to get the shot in, but then I can't change this image at a later stage. So then I have to delete the whole shot from the storyboard, and then add it again.

So I'm still kind of surprised that I haven't found any software that allows me this:

1: To import a script, to get the correct scene numbers and headings

2. To write a shotlist based on the script

3. To add storyboard images to the individual shots

Now if I could also add special info about the shot, like "special equipment needs" or "day-for-night" etc. wouldn't this be of great use for both me and the 1st AD when he gets down to writing the call sheets?

• Premium Member
Yeah Celtx is ok, but it still doesn't cover my needs unfortunately.

to specify:

Ive got a shotlist of more than 400 shots, and now i would like to add storyboard images and still photos to some of the shots.

I can write the shotlist in Celtx,

Now if I could also add special info about the shot, like "special equipment needs" or "day-for-night" etc. wouldn't this be of great use for both me and the 1st AD when he gets down to writing the call sheets?

Apple's PAGES app has a storyboard template that works well and it's very cheap compared to word. Only works on a mac of course.

There's also OmniOutliner. It works GREAT for this kind of thing as well. Again also on MAC.

I also built my own Filemaker Pro app that does a lot of this work as well, but in a lot more *searchable* detail. Great for complex and big projects. Plus you can export to excel etc for when you want to lay off the details for other departments.

For example, on a feature i shot a while ago, entered the stock code I planned to use for each scene (shooting both 16 and 35mm) and then with the screen times loaded i was able to extrapolate based on the budgeted shooting ratio, how much to get of each stock. It actually turned out to be very accurate.

Only works in Filemaker Pro. Im happy to send it on to you if you can use it.

jb