Thanks for your help, see the results

Miska Draskoczy

• Premium Member
Here's the classic example Kevin of a guy with little talent and lots of connections that has done very well in Hollywood: Kevin Kostner.

How much was blown on "Waterworld?" Then how much was blown on the even worse

"The Postman."

My point is that he is backed because of his connections, obviously his product is sub standard.

You seem to be advocating the idea that the cream will rise to the top in Hollywood, regardless of how far outside the Hollywood system they start, we both know that isn't true.

Frank

First of all, I feel Costner is a talent. If you look at his career post Water world and The Postman, you can see he certainly had a fallingoff. That is a case of the system at work; he was not doing these "epics" after those box office flops.

If you had any experience with the bull poop around Water World, and it's money you would know that a lot of other factors accounted for the major budget over runs. My guess is you only know what you read in the paper, and have no personal experience with the project. The movie itself, in my opinion, was okay, but due to the bad publicity it failed.

I am not saying having connections does not help greatly in Hollywood, but tell me a profession that having some ins in is not an advantage?

The best man for the job is not always in the job, but this is true with all professions. The idea that having some divine connection is a guarantee to success is just plain naive. You have to stand on your own at some point, even with connections.

Use me for example; I, coming into this business had absolutely zero connections. No one in my family worked/ works in this business. The only thing I had going for me was my location (Woodland Hills, CA) and supportive parents. I got out there, and spent years making my own connections. I worked my ass off on my own to get to the point where I am today; shooting and working regularly, for a living. I am still out there working my ass off forming relationships, and I will be for a very long time.

Plenty of people don?t make it, and plenty of people do. It takes time and persistence.

Kevin Zanit

Guest Frank Gossimier

Hold on a second grimmett I never said the direct to DVD family film was a "Christian video." You're kind of making assumptions there and putting words in my mouth :-)

There are tons of amazing family films out there that do not have a Christian theme and appeal to kids of all religous stripes and those that have none. I think it's a myth that only those who identify themselves as evangelical Christians are interested in quality family entertainment. (By the way I am in no way a part of the evangelical Christian movement).

Now I'm not saying that's all that should be made, of course there is a place for films with a more "mature theme". I wouldn't let my kids watch Saving Private Ryan even though I think it's a great film. The gore & violence is of course far too intense for kids, although a necassary part of a war film.

My goal isn't to work in Hollywood. I tossed that idea onto the scrap heap long ago when I finally realized that it would be the same as banging my head against a brick wall for 12 hours a day. The idea of living like a rodent and trying to scratch out a living for years and years just didn't appeal to me.

Earlier I posed a question and I'll re-state it because I really would like to know what the response would be.

For the sake of argument I have written the greatest screen play of the 21st century. A film that if made will win 10 Oscars and surpass Titanic in earnings. Now, how do I as a complete unknown to Hollywood get this script into the hands of those that can make it a reality?

Frank

Guest Frank Gossimier

One other thing I'd be curious to know about.

Who here, besides David Mullen, has been the DP for a "major motion picture." ie a Hollywood theatrical release?

Now don't get defensive I'm not knocking anyone here, I'd just be curious to know how many others have a real bonafide Hollywood feature credit as DP under their belt, that's all.

Thanks

Frank

For the sake of argument I have written the greatest screen play of the 21st century. A film that if made will win 10 Oscars and surpass Titanic in earnings. Now, how do I as a complete unknown to Hollywood get this script into the hands of those that can make it a reality?

This question is just inherently ignorant, and frankly stupid. How can anyone ever tell what a screenplay will do? This takes us back to Dances with Wolves...a film no one wanted to touch that ended up earning a fortune, and winning the oscars! And this story is echoed all through the history of cinema...man writes script, studios reject script, man makes film independently, man makes millions of dollars and wins oscars. Have you heard of a little film called The Passion of the Christ?

One other thing I'd be curious to know about.

Who here, besides David Mullen, has been the DP for a "major motion picture." ie a Hollywood theatrical release?

Now don't get defensive I'm not knocking anyone here, I'd just be curious to know how many others have a real bonafide Hollywood feature credit as DP under their belt, that's all.

Yeah you're only insulting people in a roundabout way. I love David Mullin's work, I honestly think he's going to be considered a giant...but he's got a good 20 years on a lot of us, here. A lot of us here are in our early 20s and are just getting out of film school and feeling our way in the "real world." I have no doubt that I will DP a "bonafide Hollywood feature" in the future. All I've shot so far are shorts but I just got my first "pro gig" to shoot a music video for a name artist.

For someone who hates Hollywood as much as you do you certainly seem to use it as a measure for success. Just because it didn't work out for you doesn't means some of us aren't headed for great things. Sorry, but you just sound like a bitter loser, to me.

• Premium Member

David is clearly the most seasoned feature DP here, no doubt about that.

My work is in music videos (some you can find on MTV and MTV2 right now) and commercials; at the moment. I also do smaller narrative work. I am prepping for a fairly large film to be shot in about 7 months (I will write more details in time).

I have worked on many larger, mainstream projects, as have many on this board. Greg Irwin, who posts here sometimes, is one of the biggest 1st ACs in the world.

Just because I personally have not shot a film that is currently in wide release does not at all discount my insight into that world. As I live about 1 degree of separation to many people who do, and many of these people are friends of mine.

I am not trying to start a war here. I am just merely pointing out that the idea that if someone has some great connections he will be at the wheel of the next $50 million production is a myth.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member
Hi,

Careful, I've had stuff out on MTV, you don't want to be comparing yourself to me!

Phil

Please Phil, it is an honor to be compared to you, the infamous "negative phil" :P

(http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/index.php?showtopic=794&hl=Negative+fill)

Kevin Zanit

Guest Frank Gossimier

OK well I withdraw my questions. Innocent though they where intended to be.

Some in this audience obviously lack the maturity to deal with the issues at hand, and don't understand the meaning of the word "hypothetical."

I won't post or respond on this thread any longer. Go ahead and attack me then...you're free to do so as you won't get a rebutle so that should make it easy for you.

Frank

Please Phil, it is an honor to be compared to you, the infamous "negative phil"  :P

(http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/index.php?showtopic=794&hl=Negative+fill)

Kevin Zanit

Hi Kevin: I just looked through that thread and saw the pic of your negative fill setup...just curious but how big was that silk you were flying?

• Premium Member

For the record, I've never shot a "major motion picture" although maybe someday...

I've shot some indie films that have gotten minor theatrical releases.

If I knew how to find major studio backing for a screenplay, I'd probably be doing something else than cinematography... There are no established routes. If you're lucky, you get an agent to see the value in the script and let them shop it around town. Or you get it to some production companies with studio deals. Or you just go directly to some wealthy investors...

Since awards are not logical nor predictable, there is no way of knowing if you've written a potentially "award-winning" script.

• Premium Member
Hi Kevin:  I just looked through that thread and saw the pic of your negative fill setup...just curious but how big was that silk you were flying?

Hi David: Looking at the type of frame, it looks like a 12x. I really don't remember as it was a while ago. I know it was 1/2 China silk (my silk of choice).

Kevin Zanit

Hi David:  Looking at the type of frame, it looks like a 12x.  I really don't remember as it was a while ago.  I know it was 1/2 China silk (my silk of choice).

Kevin Zanit

The resulting image is very nice. Some excellent use of exterior negative fill...you don't see that too often, really.

Edited by DavidSloan

I became a filmmaker because of mainstream theatrical movies I saw as a kid.  I want to someday make movies that inspire some teenager to go out and make movies... and generally the straight-to-video market does not generate that level of excitement in the viewer,

Funny I think many straight to video films give some people the feeling "I could've done better than that."

• Premium Member
Funny I think many straight to video films give some people the feeling "I could've done better than that."

It's like Altman's comment that it was all the bad movies he saw as a young man that taught him what NOT to do more than watching great films and being inspired by them.

Who here, besides David Mullen, has been the DP for a "major motion picture."  ie a Hollywood theatrical release?

The funny thing about this statement. What I've learned in my short time around LA this past year. Most of the people who work in Hollywood, their names by and large will never be known, in a popular sense.

Many people outside of LA and who've never been to Hollywood don't realize the people you can name are very much the minority of people who work in Hollywood. There are many many people who work and do well, and you will never know their names.

Edited by tenobell