Muddy Super 8 Results

Sofia Miles

• Premium Member
Planning a shoot without filtering because "Oh, I´ll just have it corrected in post..." is just plain wrong. If someone forgets to use a filter, well then that is what you have to work with, just make the best out of the situation. But don´t plan for "adding a 85 in post", use the 85 filter in your cameras people.

Kent, David has done some extraordinary work so I don't think I would insult him. I argued with him in the past about things until I saw his reel and I was blown away...he backs up his talk.

I don't think anyone is saying to deliberately not use a Wratten 85 outside. We're just saying that if you miake a mistake (they happen), you don't generally have to reshoot.

Kent, David has done some extraordinary work so I don't think I would insult him.

Not sure if there has been a misunderstanding in some of my posts... I never meant to insult anyone.

I don't think anyone is saying to deliberately not use a Wratten 85 outside.

Actually that is exactly what David Rakoczy did... in this post:

Sofia... you do not need to use an 85 when shooting Tungsten balanced Film in Daylight. You can add the 85 in Post.

I don´t agree with the above post that is telling people to deliberately skip the filtering. I then felt that this statement was somewhat "backep up" by Justin who wrote that it wasn´t that difficult to colorcorrect for incorrect filtering.

We're just saying that if you miake a mistake (they happen), you don't generally have to reshoot.

Agreed.

Edited by Kent Kumpula

Guest Kevin Thomas
Hello,

I recently purchased a canon 814 autozoom super 8. As far as i can tell it appears to be in great condition, but my color film came back looking muddy --- the colors are dark, the highlights are very bright with an orange tint (a lot of contrast, but little detail.) Flesh tones also appear very orange or red. I was shooting in bright sunshine using Ektachrome 64T Color Reversal with no filter on the camera. When shooting in B&W using 7265 PXR464 Super 8 50' Eastman Plus-X Reversal film in the same conditions the quality seems fine (maybe a little dark, but fine otherwise. Is there any reason why my camera would be fine shooting black & white film, but not with the color? If anyone has advice or knows what I'm doing wrong I would really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks so much!

SM

I have had another think about my flare theory and I have to admit I'm not so sure it holds up. My first step would be to check the camera's metering, a far more likely explanation for the under exposure even if the B & W seemed fine.

I don't think anyone is saying to deliberately not use a Wratten 85 outside. We're just saying that if you miake a mistake (they happen), you don't generally have to reshoot.

I have deliberately not used an 85 at the end of the day to gain stop when the light is going. But, you're right, that is something I didn't plan to do, I simply had no choice.

I don´t remember anyone saying it was difficult... I just said it won´t look as good as it would look if the cameraman would have used a 85 filter in the camera.

Sofia... you do not need to use an 85 when shooting Tungsten balanced Film in Daylight. You can add the 85 in Post.

Quote- KENT KUMPULA

I don´t agree with the above post that is telling people to deliberately skip the filtering. I then felt that this statement was somewhat "backep up" by Justin who wrote that it wasn´t that difficult to colorcorrect for incorrect filtering.

- I never said to skip the filtering. I said that you can color correct the footage depending on the color temperature. Careful where you point fingers kent. You may wish to re-read what people write before you comment. I wasn't backing up that statement. I don't really care, but you may run across someone who will take offence to being misrepresented by your comments.

Planning a shoot without filtering because "Oh, I´ll just have it corrected in post..." is just plain wrong. If someone forgets to use a filter, well then that is what you have to work with, just make the best out of the situation. But don´t plan for "adding a 85 in post", use the 85 filter in your cameras people.

agreed.