Arri 16bl Weird

Alright, I get it right 50% of the time and get it wrong 50% of the time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when loading a 400ft mag on the ARRI 16BL. I see about 40 Perfs and make sure the claw is in grip. If anyone wants to show me in person at a starbucks or something how to 100% load this mag for this camera that'd be great. Ill throw in some gas or starbucks or something. Thank You

what is exactly the problem you got loading the mag? i don´t remember the exact amount of perforations the roll should have, but respecting the mark on the upper left side everything should work out fine.

Alright, I get it right 50% of the time and get it wrong 50% of the time. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when loading a 400ft mag on the ARRI 16BL. I see about 40 Perfs and make sure the claw is in grip. If anyone wants to show me in person at a starbucks or something how to 100% load this mag for this camera that'd be great. Ill throw in some gas or starbucks or something. Thank You

Image quality is quiet bad, PM me and I give you my Email adress, so you could send me the picture in beter resolution.

Have you got a second mag to check if its a mag problem? I may be wrong but if I see it right the film slips of the core at the exposed side. This could be a problem with mag-tension.

After loading the raw material, passing the film to the other side and fixing it to the core: how many times you turn the core? You should turn it a couple of times, it has to be tightened!

I´ve never seen the BL´s mag with daylight spools... Maybe anyone here knows if this could cause any problems.

This happens

• Premium Member
I may be wrong but if I see it right the film slips of the core at the exposed side. This could be a problem with mag-tension.

It's tough to tell form that photo, but this looks like the problem to me, too.

Try loading it again. This time, fold about 3 inches of film back over itself, and insert that end in the core. Then give the core 4 or 5 full turns and make sure it's on there tight and that there aren't any lumps. The way the takeup core is oriented in the photo is wrong, too. Flip it over. When the little slit for the end of the film is pointed back like that, it causes a lump in the roll.

If the film is just slipping off, that will fix your problem.

Edited by Chris Keth

It's tough to tell form that photo, but this looks like the problem to me, too.

Try loading it again. This time, fold about 3 inches of film back over itself, and insert that end in the core. Then give the core 4 or 5 full turns and make sure it's on there tight and that there aren't any lumps. The way the takeup core is oriented in the photo is wrong, too. Flip it over. When the little slit for the end of the film is pointed back like that, it causes a lump in the roll.

If the film is just slipping off, that will fix your problem.

Thank You Man ! It worked, I flipped the core on the take up core, allowed two perfs above the line and did the 3 inches, and 4 and 5 turns and worked! The daylight spool worked too!

My gates all dirty and stuff, went down to Studio Depot last week and a camel brush was like 25 bucks, I was like God damn!

You should never clean the gate area with any kind of brush or even worse Q-Tips.

They can both shed hairs or fibres that can get stuck in the aperture.

Use an orangewood stick to scrape away emulsion deposits and compressed air to flush out loose particles.

This should do the job. Compressed air is also best for the insides of the mag chamber.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

You should never clean the gate area with any kind of brush or even worse Q-Tips.

They can both shed hairs or fibres that can get stuck in the aperture.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I like Q-tips but you have to wrap a kemwipe around it to prevent what you described from happening.