AATON XTR Scratching Film-Please look at footage

ben brewer

http://www.vimeo.com/5985080

please look at the footage linked above and looking for the pulsing light on the right hand side of frame. Does anyone know exactly what the issue is?

Our current theory is that the film coming off the feed side is coning ever so slightly and scratching at some point as it is fed into the gate.

Anyone know exactly what is going on here?

Almost certainly a light leak. The clue will be in the frequency of the recurring pattern. At a glance it doesn't seem to be quite regular, which makes it a bit harder to diagnose. There is some more general fogging around 3 seconds (that's a little under 2ft) before each camera stop. Sometimes this is also the diagonal line that moves across, and that also seems to have a recurring appearance about every ten seconds (about 6ft). The diagonal line looks as though it's a narrow beam of light that is hitting the film at some stage when it is stationary.

2 feet is roughly the circumference of a 400 ft roll of stock, so if this is happening at the start or the end of the roll, it's a light leak hitting the outside of either the feed or the takeup end of the stock, in the magazine, during camera stops.

There isn't much that is 6 feet long in the camera - it is closer to the size of a processing rack, but it would be odd to get magazine fogging AND lab fogging on the same roll.

I had some footage that looked almost the same. I know it was through the viewfinder because I was driving the car and needed to pull my eye off to make sure I staying on the road. It didn't happen anywhere else in the footage.

I also like to seal my magazine with black photo tape just as a precaution.

T