Do I need a sync motor?

Fhj Ais

I recently bought an ARRIFLEX SB camera. It comes with a variable speed motor. However I'm shooting a short soon with wild sound (shooting silent, then recording audio on location). With that, do you think I need a motor that is fixed at 24FPS? I realize I'm shooting wild sound but let's say the actors repeat their lines exactly how they said them, will the variable motor's slight speed variance make the audio not sync up in post?

If I do need one, can someone direct me to where I can find one online? I hear that instead of crystal sync motors, you can use AC Syncroneous motors. Does anyone know about these and if they'll with with an Arriflex? Could I use one from this site and hooks it up to the camera?

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/products/...rs.php?vTID=107

Thnx in advance :rolleyes:

Edited by Fhj Ais

• Premium Member

I guess it doesn't matter if you get a sync motor or not because I guarantee you that your actors will not repeat the dialog in the exact same way that they original said it. If I was going to go El Mariachi with it like you are, I wouldn't even bother with a sync motor. Just go cheap and go for it. I wouldn't expect stellar results. You'd honestly stand a better chance of using a non-synced camera, barney it, record sound while you shoot, and keep your dialog takes short. Still no guarantee it wont drift but at least you have the original audio track to work with. At the very least, record a scratch track so you can ADR later.

I'm just trying to help you avoid ruining your project. RR was a great inspiration for me too but let's face it...his method was ridiculous and his outcome a movie miracle. Don't expect lightning to strike twice.

I guess it doesn't matter if you get a sync motor or not because I guarantee you that your actors will not repeat the dialog in the exact same way that they original said it. If I was going to go El Mariachi with it like you are, I wouldn't even bother with a sync motor. Just go cheap and go for it. I wouldn't expect stellar results. You'd honestly stand a better chance of using a non-synced camera, barney it, record sound while you shoot, and keep your dialog takes short. Still no guarantee it wont drift but at least you have the original audio track to work with. At the very least, record a scratch track so you can ADR later.

I'm just trying to help you avoid ruining your project. RR was a great inspiration for me too but let's face it...his method was ridiculous and his outcome a movie miracle. Don't expect lightning to strike twice.

Thanks for your advice. I'm starting to think, just shoot the whole thing silent then ADR everything with more effort. That's what I'm really aiming for here, going cheap.

Thanks for your advice. I'm starting to think, just shoot the whole thing silent then ADR everything with more effort. That's what I'm really aiming for here, going cheap.

Sergio Leone used to do this. It depends how much you want it to look in sync.

Keep in mind all that ADR might not be cheap tho! Depends how you do it all.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Get yourself a sync motor or at least an ARRI constant speed motor for the camera. DO NOT shoot wild and try to ADR in post, it's a nightmare.

Shoot with the sync motor or at least the constant speed motor (which won't run at exactly 24 fps, but it will run at a consistent speed somewhere between 23 fps and 25 fps, in other words, the speed won't fluctuate) and record a scratch track on set. Throw an old leather jacket over the camera to quiet it down some. Use that scratch track, even with the camera noise on it (maybe take out some of the camera noise with noise reduction software), for a reference so when you do re-record the dialogue, your actors can listen to how they originally did their lines and it helps them to nail it in ADR.

The wild motor is exactly that, wild. It will fluctuate in speed during each shot. It is not only a problem in recording dialogue, but in exposure, where your image will get lighter and darker as the camera speed fluctuates.

To find out more about all the motors available for the Arriflex 16S, visit this web page:

Arriflex 16S Motors

And to find out about how to record sound with a noisy Arriflex 16S and remove some of the camera noise with noise canceling software, visit this web page:

Quieting an Arriflex 16S with noise reduction software and a Barney

You can also get a barney for the camera from Custom Upholstery Products. Look them up on the web.

Good luck with your film.

Best,

-Tim