Dilemma

George Simpson

Hey guys.

I have a real dilemma and i know this is the best place to come for help. I live in the UK and in my second year of College. Basically i really dont know whether to go to University and get a degree in Cinematography or go straight into getting experience out in the field?!

Here is the site im interested in: http://onlineservices.bournemouth.ac.uk/co...aspx?course=632

Some help would be great. Thanks.

George.

P.S Anyone want to offer me some work experience...... :lol:

• Premium Member

It’s a fairly common dilemma. School was worth it to me for all the friends I made and kept. After that I worked in various production departments which certainly gave me a good idea of how sets run and some of the dos and don’ts. Along with making short films of my own on the side, it was all very beneficial.

That said, I’m now finishing my first feature that I shot almost two and a half years ago and I’ve learned more in that time than my entire film school and post film school career combined.

Bournemouth have been around for a while. I know at least one DP who went there.

There's a large thread on the subject, but there appeared to be a general feeling that going to university broadens your education. Making films isn't a just a technical process, so you need to have the time to learn about ideas and the other arts. A good course will also enable you to meet some of the people who may become part of your future career. I know of a few directors who's clients are people they went to university with.

If you want to go straight into the industry you really need some training, so you could check out FT2. A good scheme will give you the contacts.

Getting into the industry is tough unless you know people.

Thanks Justin, but doesn't really answer my question. But i know what you mean.

Come on guys!! Someone must of had the same situation as me!!

Hi, George.

There is no "one" answer that works for everyone. You have to do what's right for you based on what you already know, who you know, what you're current financial situation is, what your "Friend" situation is, and how you truly want to live your life.

I got this very question A LOT and I found that there isn't a simple way to answer it. That's exactly why I sat down and wrote my book (see links below) because there is no "soundbite" or quick answer that will fit in a forum like this to help. There is SO much to know and be aware of BEFORE you choose school or a career path. I did my very best to answer all of the questions people like you have... because I (and so many others like us) have had the very same concerns.

If there was a "quickie" answer to your question, it is that you need to know what you're getting into before you jump in whether it's formal schooling or the job market. If you choose school, make sure that the classes you are paying for will teach you things you don't know and things that you need to know. If you choose the career path instead, make sure you know enough to at least not fall on your face and ruin your reputation before you even get started.

There is SO much more to know and you will find it in the pages of WHAT I REALLY WANT TO DO: ON SET IN HOLLYWOOD. I tried for a long time to answer these kinds of questions in quick bites, but quickie answers here aren't fair to you at all. Take the time to learn everything you can about the professional industry and the career you wish to work toward and then choose the stepping stones that'll take you there. The answer (if there is one) is knowledge. Take the time to learn the realities of your chosen career AND the current job market so that you're not wasting your time and/or money.

If you are in UK, aim for NFTS (National Film +Television School) Beaconsfield.

As it has been pointed out that what works for A may not work for B.

I think there are hundreds of us who have been in this situation and many more are going to be.

If you can get an assistants job with a busy dop take it and go with the tide, guess its difficult in UK at the moment.

I would say keep both the options open and take it as it comes.

Good Luck

Cheers!