No mention of Jerry Orbach's death on forum??

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

Tim,

I must say that I was disappointed to see that no mention was made of Jerry Orbach's death, yesterday. I expected to see a headline on the front page of the website but there was nothing. Is that space only reserved for when a cinematographer passes? I seem to remember you putting up articles when other members of the film community (non-cinematographers) passed.

Mr. Orbach contributed much to the stage, televison and film communities, respectively, over the years. This is why I started a thread which included a pasted article about is life and career.

Tim, I am sure this was just an oversight on your part. You do a good job with this forum but I needed to let you know, publicly, that this irked me a bit. I know that this is a cinematography forum, but I have always thought of this as a film community.

Mr. Orbach deserves to be remembered in this forum as well.

Thank you.

Edited by Bill_DiPietra

• Premium Member

I wsa a fan of his (and the show) and was sad to hear of his unexpected death (he was only 69 and prostate cancer tends to be slow-moving...)

However, this being a cinematography forum, Tim doesn't usually do death announcements of actors, even significant ones. I don't recall a discussion on Marlon Brando, for example, who was more significant to motion picture history than Jerry Orbach.

Guest Frank Gossimier

I liked "Lenny" a lot as well, but to announce his death here? I'm not sure the folks who own this forum slighted Mr. Orbach or his memory in any way.

If Orbach's death gets a mention here, then there will have to be a separate forum thread just for industry people who pass away. There would be quite a number every month.

"Audris" raises a good point, he's out of the country so probably not as familiar with the Law And Order franchise like we all are. And since this is an international forum...well, you can see the problems this would cause.

Oh by the way Audris I have a question for you, off topic on this thread, is that a picture of you that you use for the forum? Don't take this the wrong way but you must have very good genes you look like you're about 15 years old in that picture :-) Is that picture recent?

Frank

• Premium Member

Yes he was a very gifted performer and I enjoyed his performances

immensely. I wish to express my sympathies as to his passing. David,

there is a type of prostrate cancer that is very virulent and moves rap-

idly to other systems. A prostate screen is a good thing to have done for

those in the age range. I do not see the virulent type very much in the

hospital patients that I work with but occasionally it will take some one

rather quickly(dx'd late) and at times this shocks me.

Greg

• Premium Member
Oh by the way Audris I have a question for you, off topic on this thread, is that a picture of you that you use for the forum?  Don't take this the wrong way but you must have very good genes you look like you're about 15 years old in that picture :-)  Is that picture recent?

It got taken 3 years ago, when I was 24. Ah, the wonders a talented photographer can do. :D

I must say that I was disappointed to see that no mention was made of Jerry Orbach's death, yesterday.  I expected to see a headline on the front page of the website but there was nothing.  Is that space only reserved for when a cinematographer passes?  I seem to remember you putting up articles when other members of the film community (non-cinematographers) passed.

Sorry, Bill, but announcements like those are usually reserved for DP's and sometimes directors.

I liked Jerry Orbach's work too, and I'm a fan of Law & Order. I even worked on the pilot way back in 1990.

Jerry Orbach Trivia:  I wonder how many folks know that he was the voice of Luminiere, the "Maurice Chevalier" sounding candelabra in in Disney's Beauty and the Beast?

You can go way further than that. He was a Broadway song and dance man way before Law and Order. Caberet comes to mind way back when. Broadway is not my forte so someone better than I could list his accomplishments. imdb.com doesn't cover it. Perhaps a website that covers Broadway as well would be a great idea.