5d MKII Purchase Question...

John Hoffler

• Premium Member

Hey all,

I was searching to purchase a 5D MKII online and found the body for around $2600-2300 everywhere except Supreme Camera.

why is this site able to sell the 5D for so much cheaper than Amazon and B&H? Is there something in the specs that I am missing?? Or did I just find a good deal?

I'm always weary of good deals...lol... i've been burned before.

thanks

John

Well, for starters, here's a shot of the storefront for Supreme:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/manhattanstores/h0062.htm

I would be certain that they will charge your card and then backorder the item indefinitely until either they or you cancel. They would use the interest on your money. Having been in camera retail for 10 years, I know the schemes. Be careful!

Dave

Lots of camera scams on the internet - if the price is too good to be true it probably is.

A lot of them take your order the charge you extra for things that should be included in the standard package eg.. battery, charger, lens etc... Knocking the price back up to something thats not a great deal.

Or they can be grey imports that don't have US warranties

Not worth the risk

• Premium Member

Mess with Supreme's mind. Their website does not check credit card numbers before accepting the order. They obviously don't have a true e-commerce system, just an order taking program. Right now some SOB at Supreme is probably trying to figure out why the order I just placed for a $589 HV-40 has a credit card number that won't quite work...and they're trying to contact the bogus telephone numbers and email address I listed.

What I'd like to know is why the State of New York doesn't go after these crooks for running bait and switch operations?

If you are in NOLA, you might want to check out the exact rules for tax exemption status regarding film production - your state has a good incentive package going right now. I bought a 5D mk2 in texas with a form from the film commission that exempted taxes, from a Best Buy with a 10% off coupon for "any item" I got off the internet and saved a bundle, cheaper even than "beards and hats" store in NYC. And I didn't pay any shipping, either, or have to wait for the postman which was nice.

But beware grey market and scammers. You WILL get burned. It's not often you can do better than Samy's or B+H prices on new gear. How do they do it? Volume, volume, volume - plus a LOT of satisfied, return customers.