Easy Cucoloris Method

RobertRaey

OK, I shoot for a company that keeps me flying around the country doing interviews and I always need something to break up the background. I'm lighting with my arri kit and a couple of peppers that I still hold on to for little accents here and there. In the home studio I use the cookies on set but they are too big to travel with since I am allowed only what will fit in the arri case. What can I do to make these blank backgrounds more interesting when I don't have my kook?

• Premium Member

Cut it into Foamcore which you can buy at any arts supply store; or perhaps a better idea could be done with black felt-fabric and some PCV, you cut it in and then fit it to this frame, small and portable, and light weight.

or, for blinds, same idea, frame and gaffer's tape.

A couple of thoughts... Like the other posts mentioned, an easy way is to use cut up foam core or even poke some holes in blackwrap. There is also another solution at www.shadowfoils.com . They sell inexpensive sets of pre-cut blackwrap patterns in a organizer that fits well into the back of a light case. And since they are made to just clip onto the barn doors, you don't even need a c-stand in your kit.