GearNex

David Rakoczy

• Premium Member
Has anyone played with the GearNex Gear Head? Gear Heads are probably what I miss the most about LA and I've been pondering this item... If you have used it I'd love to know what you think about it's use with a Full SR2 Package.

They sure nailed the price point... but does it function effectively?

I played with one a little at filmtools last week.

It's certainly small. It seems well-built but the display already had some play in the pan, which I don't take as a good sign. You would change pan directions and be able to see a little jerk.

They don't have the variety of gears that other gearheads have. There is just a "high" and a "low," really, and you can't easily shift on the fly because the shift is jerky. I think it could use a "higher" gear, personally, but it's not really a deal breaker.

I think it would be quite nice with an SR on top.

Have you looked at mini worrals or mini-mitchells? This isn't bad but I like both of those better. I think visual products has a used mini-mitchell right now.

Edited by Chris Keth

• Premium Member
Has anyone played with the GearNex Gear Head? Gear Heads are probably what I miss the most about LA and I've been pondering this item... If you have used it I'd love to know what you think about it's use with a Full SR2 Package.

They sure nailed the price point... but does it function effectively?

You'd have to play with one yourself to see if you like it -- I played with one at NAB... it was small, felt a bit rough, but apparently the prototypes at NAB last spring were not finished in terms of filing and smoothing down the teeth, whatever.

But it seemed to inherently lack some of the solid mass you'd need to transfer inertia away from the camera and into the head instead. However, I'm not a gearhead operator, which is why I think you're just going to have to play with one yourself. It certain looks cool and cute, and I liked the whole concept of a simplified, cheaper, smaller gearhead for smaller, lighter cameras. I'm just not sure what camera size/weight it's best for -- an ARRI SR2 may be at the upper limit of what it can handle smoothly.

I don't see any info on what cameras were on the gear heads David Mullen and Chris Keth used. My experience with lower-priced camera support is that the camera weight sometimes needs to be just right for the camera support to operate smoothly. So the same tripod head may operate better with a fully-loaded ENG-sized camera, but now with a camera kit weighing 10 lbs less, and vice versa, sometimes despite specs. Perhaps this could be a similar case?

I mean, the Film Tools website lists supported cameras anything from tiny 1/3" chipset cameras all the way to RED One and 2/3" ENG cameras, as well as lightweight 35mm and 16 mm cameras. And the weight limit on it is listed at 75 lbs. That is quite a range. So who knows where the "sweet spot" will be in terms of weight for the darned thing to operate properly.

As David Mullen suggests, trying it out, especially with a similar kit as one intends to use on it, may be the best option here. Oh, and asking about the warranty on it may not be a bad thing either.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member

I played with one at HD Expo. The main issue for me is that the fast tilt gear is nowhere near fast enough. You need 3-4 complete revolutions to follow a stand-up. My old Worrall would do that in 3/4 to 1 revolution. The one on display wasn't set up too well, turning the tilt wheel like that sent the head back and forth to the extremes of the play in the pan, so a stand-up gets a very zig-zag look. I'd give them some time to do better, which I really hope they do. I love gear heads, they really save your body on a long hard day. Size wise, it would be a good fit for the Arri SR's.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I don't see any info on what cameras were on the gear heads David Mullen and Chris Keth used.

Good point. I tried the filmtools demo that has a canon XL H1 on top of it so it was definitely in the lower third of it's weight range.

I played with it a little at film tools as well. It was neat, but the more I played with it the less stable it seemed. Maybe the XL-H1 wasn't heavy enough, meaning with something like a red on it there would be less wobble. I think it could manage an SR3 depending on what else you had on it, but if you're spending the money on a S16 rental, rent a geared head, I'm sure it would be more worthwhile. This is priced for ownership by a production company doing HD commercial work.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the insight guys! I own a complete SR2, Dollies, Grip & Electric... but I have always wanted my own Gear Head.. I miss the Wheels! So, I just purchased a Mini Worrall in GREAT shape!

post-31017-1259093100.jpg

Good choice, I think. They are really nice heads that will take a big variety of common cameras. Take care of it and you'll have it forever.

• Premium Member
Thanks Keith. My Head Repair guy (Rafael Rodriguez in LA)... is giving it a tune up/ paint touch up.... may chrome the Wheels etc...

Now I need some Mitchell Support (see Cine Marketplace Forum).

It's Chris. Keth (without an "I") is my last name. :P

I am so sorry Chris.. I know who you are :lol: ... I have two lines blinking and a ton of emails flowing in and while juggling all that I am trying to carouse with my Film buddies. Sheesh. My apology... see Mr. Mull(e)n and Salzman(n)... this is a habit I really need to work on... s-l-o-w-i-n-g down...

Well....Gotta go!

• Premium Member
Thanks Keith. My Head Repair guy (Rafael Rodriguez in LA)... is giving it a tune up/ paint touch up.... may chrome the Wheels etc...

Now I need some Mitchell Support (see Cine Marketplace Forum).

Hi David,

Not to jump off topic, but I wonder if you can post contact info (or PM) for Rafael. I'm assuming you like his work. I have a used Technovision head I purchased earlier this year and I would like to have someone give it a tune up just to be sure it's up to spec.

BTW I'm hoping the guys from GearNex have a great product. When I saw their head I thought it was about time someone built a geared head at that price point.

-Fran

post-7375-1259105698.jpg

• Premium Member
Here is Rafael Rodriguez's contact number... he lives near Glendale, CA. He has always been very helpful on all repairs.. Fluid or Geared!

Please tell him I sent you.

Home - 323.660.4993

Cell - 213.446.1944

Thanks, David

-Fran

• Premium Member
I am so sorry Chris.. I know who you are :lol: ... I have two lines blinking and a ton of emails flowing in and while juggling all that I am trying to carouse with my Film buddies. Sheesh. My apology... see Mr. Mull(e)n and Salzman(n)... this is a habit I really need to work on... s-l-o-w-i-n-g down...

Well....Gotta go!

It's all good. I'm used to gently reminding everybody not to add that "I." I bet you can't wait to get that head. They're great.

Thanks for the insight guys! I own a complete SR2, Dollies, Grip & Electric... but I have always wanted my own Gear Head.. I miss the Wheels! So, I just purchased a Mini Worrall in GREAT shape!

[image]

Where did you get it? You said you purchased it, sound's like you walked into a store and just picked it up. ;)

€: Same question goes out to Fran btw. ;)

Edited by Dominic Gruenberg

I googled Mini Mitchell and Mini Worrall Geared Head and there was one listing for each. The Mini Mitchell is at Visual Products (that is the one Chris Keth mentioned) and there was one listing for a Mini Worrall on Craiglist. I contacted the guy (Robert Smith in LA - super nice guy) and asked him to drop it off at my Head Repair guy's house... a couple hours later Rafael called and said the Head is in great shape... actually much better than what is pictured... he said the photos make it look a lot more used than what it looks like in person and he said it functions perfectly! So I paid Robert through Paypal ($4,000 USD) and for that I got the Mini Worrall Head, Two Plates, Eyepiece Leveler Holder and an Anvil Case. It is currently en route here to Florida where it arrives Dec 2. I am thrilled! I am often very lucky (blessed) when it come to equipment. When I need or desire something, it usually surfaces at quite a deal. Now I have a Gear Head to ride my Dolly (which came about much the same way as this Head). The problem is, I am paying about the same for new (Mitchell) Standard & Baby Sticks, Spreaders and Hi Hat.. but whatever.. If I get out for under $8k for the Head and brand new Mitchell Support I'll consider it a deal. btw.. later I saw this Head listed in CML.

I found it here.

... I kinda feel like a great deal on Mitchell Support is gonna show up... we'll see.

Happy Thanksgiving All! :)

• Premium Member
Where did you get it? You said you purchased it, sound's like you walked into a store and just picked it up. ;)

€: Same question goes out to Fran btw. ;)

Hi Dominic,

I got the Technovision head through Ken Rich at The Power Broker. http://www.cineused.com/

It was listed by Ken on eBay, and there were two of them, both purchased from Clairmont Camera in Hollywood. They both were in very good condition, had camera risers and came with the heavy-duty yellow Clairmont shipping cases. I believe I paid $5,000 for it, sorry don't have the invoice right in front of me.

Both heads were collecting dust in the showroom at Transylvania Film in Burbank, CA. The guy told me that geared heads have fallen out of favor with the new indie shooters, he seemed to think they have no interest in the "old way" of doing things. Just want everything cheap and fast.

They may still have the other head. Ken told me they were something like $23,000 when new. The thing looks like it was built at JPL for NASA. A real precision piece of equipment, hard to believe it wasn't $50,000!

-Fran

• Premium Member
BTW I'm hoping the guys from GearNex have a great product. When I saw their head I thought it was about time someone built a geared head at that price point.

-Fran

Hi All.

First of all I own a CP Mini Worral. They actually stack up pretty well for the price (and your price was pretty good David)

I also use Panaheads and Arri's.....

Yesterday i was given a gearnex to try on a shoot I'm doing....

Now before I knock this head down, I should preface everything by saying it's great that there IS a new geared head for the first time in...years !!! And the price is so low that it actually compares to 20 year old heads like the CP mini-worral....

But that's also why I was so disappointed in it....

1. Gearing ratio is too low. Even at the highest ratio, it still takes multiple turns to tilt a few degrees.

Same with Pan. Couldn't turn fast enough to keep up with a simple walk and talk i was trying to do yesterday. (180mm at about 25')

2. Unacceptable play in the tilt mechanism. At about 180mm it was VERY obvious that there was excessive tilt play. Enough that you could clearly see a direction change. Enough that would make me send it back to the factory if I bought this new. Almost made me think it was a faulty head. (the second head they had at the rental company was the same)

3. Wheels very stiff to turn. Wheels seemed to have no 'feel' at all.

4. RED with a 25-250HR hangs out the back so far when balanced that it doesn't take long before the camera body actually HITS the tilt wheel ! Means you aren't getting the full available tilt range. (see photo)

5. No tilt/cheese plate. Makes it difficult to optimise the head for shots that need a bit more down or up tilt.

I think the main issues are actually to do with the fundamental design of the drive mechanism. I notice that the wheel seems to be turning a sort of giant worm gear. It's this directness that lets it down. It feels very stiff and unresponsive to me.

The panaheads use a belt connected to the gear box (the geared part of the head) the Arri's use a chain, the Mini Worral's use a cable. They all go through to another form of drive that just seems to be more precise than the geared worm drive thing (im not an engineer!).

I think they will struggle to overcome this shortcoming. I do like that someone is doing an affordable geared head. There's no denying the price. And I can forgive some features for the price (only having 2 speeds, no cheeseplate, not having the tilt range with a long camera) But I feel if only it was a little more expensive then it could have maybe been a lot better. At the moment, I wouldn't seriously consider using it. Ever. It just doesn't feel good or responsive.

I only had it for a day but that was enough.

Sorry Gearnex..i really really really wanted it to be awesome.....the tilt play alone is a big sin....

I reckon if someone was starting out and wanted to get their wheel chops up then it might be good.....but a second hand worral would be better value....

jb

post-22603-1259292835.jpg

• Premium Member
I think the main issues are actually to do with the fundamental design of the drive mechanism. I notice that the wheel seems to be turning a sort of giant worm gear. It's this directness that lets it down. It feels very stiff and unresponsive to me.

The panaheads use a belt connected to the gear box (the geared part of the head) the Arri's use a chain, the Mini Worral's use a cable. They all go through to another form of drive that just seems to be more precise than the geared worm drive thing (im not an engineer!).

jb

Hi John,

That's interesting. The Technovision Head uses a worm drive tilt as well. It is very smooth and stops/changes direction precisely. Of course, it was a $23,000 head back in 1985!

-Fran

• Premium Member
Hi John,

That's interesting. The Technovision Head uses a worm drive tilt as well. It is very smooth and stops/changes direction precisely. Of course, it was a $23,000 head back in 1985!

-Fran

Perhaps its the precision of the engineering, but it feels like you are literally turning the drive itself as you rotate the tilt wheel. it doesn't feel like you're going through any kind of gear box at all, although Im sure there must be something in there that is between the force exerted on the wheel to turning the worm drive....

Maybe it's the gearing they use ?

jb

• Premium Member
Perhaps its the precision of the engineering, but it feels like you are literally turning the drive itself as you rotate the tilt wheel. it doesn't feel like you're going through any kind of gear box at all, although Im sure there must be something in there that is between the force exerted on the wheel to turning the worm drive....

Maybe it's the gearing they use ?

jb

It sounds like the play I noticed on the demo at filmtools is normal. Maybe this will serve to get the younger kids using the gears. I rarely see them on set.

• Premium Member
Maybe this will serve to get the younger kids using the gears. I rarely see them on set.

Alas, it may do more harm than good if they don't fix the play and other problems. If this was the only gear head you'd ever tried, you'd think they weren't worth the bother to learn the hand coordination.

-- J.S.