7274 vs 7217

• Premium Member
Users of new 7217, any comments on image rendering ( color saturation, contrast capabilities, etc.) VS.  7274? I'm a devoted fan of 74 stock, but I will like to know users impressions , experiences on 7217 stock!!

Regards

Oscar

From the demos and tests I've seen, they are very close compared to the bigger quality leap between 79 and 18. I guess with the slower stocks, there was less to improve. 17 has got that Vision-2 look, i.e. it's slightly less contrasty and less saturated than 74, which looks punchier. The grain is slightly better with 17 -- and 17 also matches very closely to 18.

• Premium Member
The grain improvement is quite noticable in S-8 between 74 and 17. the 7217 is much more suitable for S-8 in my opinion. even the 7218 looks finer grain than the 74.. based on what i've seen.

The interviews on Kodak's free DVD "The Difference" were shot on 7217. :)

The 18 is Super8 is incredible, for a 500ASA film.

The 17, however, I am finding it hard to see bery much improvement over the older 74. Infact I had some amazing results of the 74, and I have to say I have so far not been as happy with the 17. - might just be me though.

Matt

I shot tests last summer in regular 16mm testing a number of Kodak stocks, getting both a work print and video transfer to Mini-DV. To my eyes, 7217 appears to be sharper than 7274, slightly less saturated and slightly finer grained. Although it's subtle, I feel like I can see the difference. I've heard the differences between the two stocks are more pronounced in 16mm than in 35mm, perhaps someone with more experience like John Pytlak could comment on that? I also felt that the 7217 transferred to video a little better.

I shot a short on 7217 and it was sharp, fine grained even shoot 1/4 of a stop under came out great, I like these Vision2 stocks, I havent yet tried any Vision stock yet but maybe in the near future, I've got 1000' of 5279 sittin under my bed for a rainy day. would like to shoot it before I graduate. and I will.

The 18 is Super8 is incredible, for a 500ASA film.

The 17, however, I am finding it hard to see bery much improvement over the older 74. Infact I had some amazing results of the 74, and I have to say I have so far not been as happy with the 17. - might just be me though.

Matt

technicaly the 7218 is not as fine grain as the 74, what I was trying to get at is the 7218 that I have done in Super 8, looked better than most of the super 8 7274 footage i have seen. I think it mostly had to do with a difference in transfers. but the 18 is one fine looking film in S-8.

• Premium Member