Looking for a Viewfinder

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Guest Rod Blackhurst

I'd like to get a viewfinder so I can stop using my still camera on location. Something that can do all of the video chips (2/3" down to 1/3") and then 16mm and 35mm. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

If you're looking for a smaller investment and have an iphone, check out "Artemis." It's a directors' finder app developed by a guy I work with. Its very accurate but can't show you very wide lenses because of the limitations of the phone's own lens.

• Premium Member

I own a Cavision VFL-6x which has all the formats you're looking for. I thought it was a good value, but after using it extensively on my latest shoot I have to say it's not very good at all. I was shooting Super16 1.85 on the Panavision Elaine and Panavised super speeds, and the field-of-view was way off. The lenses were a lot wider than the viewfinder. On day three, one of the strap lugs broke off. On day four, the other strap lug broke off and the screws which hold down the aspect ratio ring got very loose, causing the front of the finder to slip in and out... You definitely get what you pay for.