What filter do I need?

I'm shooting a music video this week, and the director wants this feel:

What filter do I need to use to get that horizontal stream across the frame when shining directly into the backlights? It almost looks like the effect of a star filter, but without the vertical line. And I'm guessing Par 64s should work as the backlights?

• Premium Member

To me that looks a bit more like anamorphic than filters, if you look in the out of focus area you'll see that things re stretched (such as circular lights out of focus going oval) a tell tale sign, as far as I'm concerned for real anamorphic lenses.

• Premium Member
To me that looks a bit more like anamorphic than filters, if you look in the out of focus area you'll see that things re stretched (such as circular lights out of focus going oval) a tell tale sign, as far as I'm concerned for real anamorphic lenses.

I agree. As a point of curiosity, it was probably with a 435 because at the beginning they threw the shutter out of phase with the movement and then brought it back into phase so the lights smear downward and then retreat back to normal. You can even see the lights' smear bleed over into the top of the next frame. It's pretty cool. The 435 is the easiest camera to do that with.

Edited by Chris Keth