Two Leading Cameras, Same Issue. Input Wanted.

Claus Harding

Hi All,

Finally managed to get signed in here....

I have a Leicina Special, bought a while ago, and a recent purchase, a Braun Nizo Professional.

The seller of the Special said he had no issues with the films he had run through the camera.

However, after 2 rolls of film (Ekta 64, Ekta 100, done at 2 diff. labs) I see gate weave on both rolls which, comsidering the Special's reputation for stability, definitely isn't right. The reason I bought the beast is because it is supposed to be rock-steady.

I got a Nizo 'Profi' at a good price, which, honestly enough, was described as having been tested 'dry' only (no film), but again...the dread weave after the first test roll (Tri-X, otherwise beautiful-looking.)

Both sets of films were run on my Elmo GS-1200 and my Elmo ST-1200 for comparison (both projectors are in fine form.)

We are not talking huge motion, but noticeably more than any of my older films have ever exhibited, so I think it reasonable to imagine these two top-runners should be able to do better.

Both cameras are in very fine shape, looking like they came from good homes. They don't suck down batteries or exhibit any noises or other anomalies.

I am not new to Super-8. I started in '75 and now got back into the game with these two cameras, so I am aware of the cassette issues, particularly pertaining to re-loaded films; I am however somewhat discouraged, and looking for some input here.

A good facility in NY will go over these two for about $300-400 each, so it's not a casual decision.

I am thinking the Leicina needs help, but I don't know yet about the Nizo. Is it a matter of 'running the rust' off it a bit; should I just press on with another pair of cassettes and hope for the best before sending it off?

Sorry if this is 'old news'; I am just trying to wade through the variables on this issue and make a good decision.

Claus.

• Premium Member
Hi All,

Finally managed to get signed in here....

I have a Leicina Special, bought a while ago, and a recent purchase, a Braun Nizo Professional.

The seller of the Special said he had no issues with the films he had run through the camera.

However, after 2 rolls of film (Ekta 64, Ekta 100, done at 2 diff. labs) I see gate weave on both rolls which, comsidering the Special's reputation for stability, definitely isn't right. The reason I bought the beast is because it is supposed to be rock-steady.

I got a Nizo 'Profi' at a good price, which, honestly enough, was described as having been tested 'dry' only (no film), but again...the dread weave after the first test roll (Tri-X, otherwise beautiful-looking.)

Both sets of films were run on my Elmo GS-1200 and my Elmo ST-1200 for comparison (both projectors are in fine form.)

We are not talking huge motion, but noticeably more than any of my older films have ever exhibited, so I think it reasonable to imagine these two top-runners should be able to do better.

Both cameras are in very fine shape, looking like they came from good homes. They don't suck down batteries or exhibit any noises or other anomalies.

I am not new to Super-8. I started in '75 and now got back into the game with these two cameras, so I am aware of the cassette issues, particularly pertaining to re-loaded films; I am however somewhat discouraged, and looking for some input here.

A good facility in NY will go over these two for about $300-400 each, so it's not a casual decision.

I am thinking the Leicina needs help, but I don't know yet about the Nizo. Is it a matter of 'running the rust' off it a bit; should I just press on with another pair of cassettes and hope for the best before sending it off?

Sorry if this is 'old news'; I am just trying to wade through the variables on this issue and make a good decision.

Claus.

The default question becomes, do you have any film that you can put into your projector that does not exhibit weave? And would you consider trying any other film stock to verify the gate weave?

The default question becomes, do you have any film that you can put into your projector that does not exhibit weave? And would you consider trying any other film stock to verify the gate weave?

Alessandro,

The projectors run fine, with stable images, both with other 24 f.p.s. films and with commercial prints, so I know it is not a projection issue. That's the same reason I played the test rolls on both projectors.

I guess I will have to run some more film in the Nizo to verify. The Leicina, in my mind, is destined for the shop, sadly enough.

To follow up, has there been any kind of list put together of the 'worst offenders' in terms of the new re-loaded film stocks in Super-8, with regard to transport issues, or is the issue just random enough that it's a matter of luck?

The only consensus I have seen has been that Kodak's own cassettes are still the best bet, while the re-loads like Velvia tend to be the culprits.

Claus.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem, with the leicina special and ecta 100. It wouldn't run steadily and the camera got stuck at half of the film, the film would run propperly in my nizo professional where I finished the last meters.

Other films anyhow don't seem to be a problem for both cameras, although I haven't tried the leicina very intensly afterwards, as I decided that I don't like this camera.

But as it seems you already tried other films...

Daniel

Guest stevie wara
... should I just press on with another pair of cassettes and hope for the best before sending it off? ...

Hi,

I have no personal experience with these particular machines, but older out-of-use cameras could just have old lubricants that have gone tacky. If the film is sticking at the gate this could possibly explain the weaving problems you are seeing. Are you able to clean the gate?

I don't know where you are at, but there are also super-8 repair services in Europe. I'd go for a reputable shop that could give you an estimate up front. $400 each seems pretty high for a tune up, but maybe I'm just out of touch with what this stuff costs these days.

Here's a shop in Germany that might be helpful if that is where you are:

http://www.video-technik-schacherl.de/index.html

Thank you Daniel and Stevie,

I live in the US. The Leicina is up at Du-All right now, getting a full run-through.

On the whole, and speaking as someone who has had 3 different Nizo sound cameras, I definitely do like the ergonomic functionality of the Nizo more than the one-of-a-kind layout of the Leicina.

The handle on the Special is the worst joke one can imagine: a thin, hard stick to support one of the heaviest Super-8 cameras around. But the lens and construction are amazing.

Claus.