Gloves?

I've got the setwear normal sort of leather gloves as well, but they seemed to have blown out pretty quickly. Holes all in the thumb and a few fingers. It's also a bit tough to go out and buy new gloves when you know new ones are going to cost you 40 bucks each time. (Not to mention their logo is so so gross.)

A lot of people I know go for some brand from home depot. I think it's CLC or something. They're just like, slim fitting leather gloves. Seem to do the job and they're 15 dollars.

Wells-Lamont cowhide. Three pairs in a pack at places like Costco, Sams, etc., $20 or so. Cheaper gloves are made from pigskin and when they get wet, they dry stiff as a board. I don't use them for pulling scrims, I use needle-nose pliers or a C-74 for that. High heat is a killer for the stitching. I usually find that one or two finger pads wear first in my gloves, so reasonably priced, but durable is what I buy.

I find that I primarily use gloves for matters of temperature (i.e. manipulating hot lights or keeping my hands warm when it is cold outside) rather than general protection. Work is just easier and more efficient without them. Skin is durable enough when you do enough work. Washing with soap a couple times a day keeps them from getting too dried out and nasty. I'll keep a pair of cheap leather work gloves handy, but I mostly use them for adjusting lights. Durability is not a huge issue, just some barrier between the hot surface and my hand. Pliers for scrims, it's just easier, especially when there are a couple in there and you need to pull just one. In cold weather I wear the warmest gloves I can find and just take them off when I need to do some intricate work. Sometimes the mittens that peel back to reveal fingerless gloves are handy. I know people rave about hot hands, but $40 for a pair of gloves seems silly (especially with such a gross logo).

Setware for normal shooting, but for cold weather I keep a pair of deerskin leather gloves with thinsulate insulation. Very thin gloves capable of manipulating cable, but warm enough for about -10 (and good to about -45 for short durations, I keep thicker gloves around during those days.)

• Premium Member
I find that I primarily use gloves for matters of temperature (i.e. manipulating hot lights or keeping my hands warm when it is cold outside) rather than general protection. Work is just easier and more efficient without them.

That's the way I always did it. Ordinary hardware store cloth gloves, with a heavy canvas loop sewed on so I could clip them on a belt hook. Needle nose or a small grip clip to pull scrims. Bare hands most of the time and gloves would last 6 months to a year.

-- J.S.