Mini Grip Kit Contents

Jeff Kolada

I'm building a miniature grip kit for our university video production club, mostly to be used by beginners and intermediate gaffers. This kit will be used with Lowel lights, so nothing major.

I do not need flags/scrims/etc.

We already own a small inventory of c-stands.

What i am most interested in is clamps, and the smaller random grip equipment. I know i'm forgetting something that could be important/helpful. Basically things to hold lights in places other than on stands.

Here's what I have currently, and base your responses off of the following list (extremely basic).

-Drop-ceiling Scissor Clamps

-Pony Clamps

-"Super Clamps" (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371927-REG/Impact_KCP_700B26_Super_Clamp_with_Standard.html)

-18" Furniture Clamp

-Blackwrap

-Gaffers Tape

Thanks

C-47's or bullets, sash cord and trick line, cube taps. Instead of apple boxes (full or sets), maybe just some pancakes for the baby plates. With drywall screws, you can skip the power drill. A few 3x3" squares of luan plywood, so they don't damage location walls/furniture with the clamps.

Speaking from university experience... A cheap easy low stand to make....

Take a couple of 2x4s about 18" long... Cut two blocks of of one of them and screw them to the outside of the other 2x4...

Drill a hole for a 8"-10" 5/8" carriage bolt... Throw some washers and a wing nut on the top, and you can use it as a low light stand...

Best part about it, you can loosen the wing nut, and it folds flat...

I would second the mentions about the Cardellinis, c-47s, sandbags, sash cord, trickline, cube taps and gripclips...

Mafer Clamps would be another to add...Just make sure you get them with the baby pin included... Mafer Clamps -- Filmtools

Edited by Daryn Williams

The compact grip kits at my university include 3 emtpy sandbags, 3 stingers, surge protector, cube tap, ground lift, 20' sections of rope, 3 space clamps, 2 Mafer clamps with baby pins, two scissor clamps, numerous C-47s, large and small grip clips, french flags, and one set of apple boxes. Everything but the apples fit into a Pelican 1650 or 1700 case (I can't remember which) with a good amount of room to spare.