FUJI F-64D

Rob Webster

Hello.

How does Fuji's F-64D fare, in terms of grain, saturation and dynamic range, when compared with newer emulsions?

I will be shooting day exteriors on a S16 short, and my main concern is to avoid excessive grain and colour saturation. I would be grateful for any observations you can share.

Thank you,

Rob

• Premium Member
Hello.

How does Fuji's F-64D fare, in terms of grain, saturation and dynamic range, when compared with newer emulsions?

I will be shooting day exteriors on a S16 short, and my main concern is to avoid excessive grain and colour saturation. I would be grateful for any observations you can share.

Thank you,

Rob

It's fairly fine-grained being only 64 ASA -- it's a bit more contrasty and saturated than the Eterna stocks, closer to the Vivid 160T look. It's not as sharp and fine-grained as the Kodak Vision-2 50D stock is, however. Being Super-16, there are limits to how grainless the image is ever going to look. But 64D is a nice emulsion, I find it a bit softer and cooler than the Kodak 50D stock.

Hello.

Thank you,

Rob

Like most Fuji stock, it really likes to be over exposed. I would rate it at 40 or even 32. This will give you more saturation, but it isn't excessive. I highly recommend it.

In my experience, 8622 is grainier and has less dynamic range than comparable Kodak stocks (7201, 7212, etc). Not a fan, unless I am going for that grittier, cooler look. For daylight filming, particularly landscape, I much prefer 7201 or corrected 7212.

How does it compare with Eterna 250D, specifically?

Dynamic range and grain, as mentioned above, are a priority.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Rob

the eterna 250D being a newer more modern stock has a more dynamic range. Grain would be similar

250D being newer is secondary. It's two stops faster, so it will still be much grainier. Because it is faster though, unless you overexpose 64D maybe a full F/stop, the dynamic range of 250D should be wider because the faster stock can see into the shadows better.

The way I understand it, the faster stocks blend faster, bigger grains in while still having slower, smaller grains as well.

I always shoot the slowest stock I can get away with, but it is important to not bring something so slow you'll get burned by not having enough light to shoot. . .