Motion pickture film for still cameras

Joe Sexton

I am working on improving my lighting technique by lighting various scenes and shooting them with both my DVX100 and an 35mm SLR. It is interesting to compare the results and I have so far learned a lot about how to light, but what I am wondering is if there are any 35mm stocks that have similar qualities to some of the more popular motion picture stocks? So far have just bean using Fuji 400 ASA color print film. I know somebody else asked this same question once before but I can't seem to find the thread.

I've shot a ton of motion picture film through my Canon SLR. As John mentioned, RGB Color Lab here in L.A. is the place to get it. Processing including slides costs $6. They print to Fuji print stock, by the way.

Check out this thread for more info, along with a couple samples I posted a while back:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...wtopic=3733&hl=

Edited by Thomas Worth

Thank for the info I talked to Kodak and they were willing to send me out some samples to try. I got a couple of roles of 5218 200T and 500T. I forgot to ask if the negative is going to be 32x24mm or if it is going to be a motion picture standard.

The exposed area on the negative depends on the type of camera. It has nothing to do with the film itself. The film itself is identical to what is used in a motion picture camera. The only difference is that it is being fed horizontally through your SLR. You'll likely get a 36x24mm image taking up 8 perfs per frame.

And by the way, 5218 is always 500T. The 200T you mention is probably 5217, assuming they are supplying both films from their "Vision2" line.

Good luck with your testing! I love shooting the stuff through my Canon. :)

I've shot a ton of motion picture film through my Canon SLR. As John mentioned, RGB Color Lab here in L.A. is the place to get it. Processing including slides costs $6. They print to Fuji print stock, by the way.

I feel ripped off! Last time I paid $27 Australian (approx US $21), and that was including a student discount... Even accounting for shipping from anywhere around the continental US you guys have no excuse for not doing this all the time! :)

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

• 4 weeks later...

dear friends,

As others told about motion picture to still camera. All the exposing methods a as it as still films, but the processing the film is a difficult job. I have exposed lot of motion picture films in my Nikon F3A. These includesFuji250D,Reala500D,Kodak 5218,5212,5248,5279,5245,5274 etc.I have got good results. The major problem you face during the processing of motion picture film is Remjet [manual processing]. I will manually process these motion picture films. We have to remove this very carefully other wise the remjet will stike to the emulsion side of the film. The whole process have many stages nearly 12. I have exposed different kinds of films even the picture positive, sound negative, I have also shooted some shots without the remjet backing[removed the remjet previously this is done manually] because in my institution we have a opportunity to develop our own negatives. It is quite interesting job when you cross process the films like processing the still in ECN2B, ECP, and motion picture neg in ECP and C41 we will get a very astronding results when we exposed the picture positive and develop in ECN2B, a blue tone which I have ever seen. Cool guys this really a interesting job then any other thing in this world I think. You get a new type of images.

L.K.Keerthi basu.