Which camera package would you prefer to own?

George Ebersole

Guest Trevor Swaim

Pretty simple, The one that clients are asking for so much that I know it would pay for itself quickly. So in my case, none of them.

• Premium Member

I want whatever camera is the next generation after the current camera...

I don't really need to own cameras for my work, so it's not much of an issue - my interest in owning would be to have something to grab my own B-roll shots with, or shoot on my own now & then. For that reason, and cost, what looks interesting to me are:

(1) the fixed-lens 2/3" Red Scarlet to do the sort of work that people today are using the EX1 and Canon 7D for, that small size & low profile, but at better quality. And it's affordable.

and/or

(2) the Full-Frame 35mm "Monstro" sensor Red Epic or Scarlet. Partly because I can use affordable 35mm still camera lenses and treat it as sort of a VistaVision plate camera, and also because it will be 14-bit or 16-bit, I believe, with excellent speed and dynamic range in theory. And very high in resolution.

I just don't think I'd ever have enough disposable income for an ARRI Alexa, but then, I probably will never be able to afford a Red Epic either.

• Premium Member

I just bought a 7D (I originally was thinking of a T2i but it's just not enough camera for me). It's affordable, there's an increasing amount of professional kit available for it, and, within its limitations, it makes great pictures.

I'll be using Canon glass for now, I bought the dynamite EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM that has "L" series quality glass in it and the not so dynamite EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS. Lensrentals.com rents the full "L" series glass for reasonable prices so that's an option for a specific project.

SanDisk Ultra 4GB 30MB/S CF cards seem to work well in the camera's motion mode and they're only $23.85 at WallyWorld.

There's all sorts of creative professional motion picture style accessories being designed for the 7D and its Canon brethren. I've been told that there's an exceptionally useful but relatively inexpensive one that'll be announced at NAB.

• Premium Member

Interesting. Years back (I know, that phrase is getting old with me) a few DPs had their own camera packages. Whether for prestige, as a hobby, or they felt they honestly needed to own a BLIII, I have no idea.

I didn't think that was the case today, but with all the raves I hear about the RED and the Si2K, I figured some of you guys would splurge big bucks for one "just to have".

The other thing I'm hearing (other than the Arri comment) is that you guys prefer to use digital still cameras as a cheap alternative for your second unit stuff, is that right?

• Premium Member
The other thing I'm hearing (other than the Arri comment) is that you guys prefer to use digital still cameras as a cheap alternative for your second unit stuff, is that right?

Right now, my feeling is that you have to be very careful about using DSLR video for second unit stuff in terms of intercutability, ability to be color-correction, and generally holding up for more than a few seconds. There are SO many image issues to worry about that I'm not really sold on it other than brief cutaways for hard-to-get angles. And even less sure for material meant for the big screen versus TV.

Right now I would wait for the Red Epic X camera. But longer term, the camera I would like to buy for myself is the Red Epic Full-Frame 35mm with "Monstro" sensor, as David mentioned. That camera will benefit from all the breakthroughs of the Epic X, plus refine things even more. And that big sensor will make for incredible detail and image quality.

The Arri cameras look nice, but by the time you get to their higher-end models with RAW and overcranking, you are talking about a ton of money. More than most people can afford.

• Premium Member
The Arri cameras look nice, but by the time you get to their higher-end models with RAW and overcranking, you are talking about a ton of money. More than most people can afford.

Ah, but this is a hypothetical question. One good thing about hypothetical questions is, you don't need real money. ;-)

-- J.S.