focus pulling in films...

Hi... a friend who is profesor in the university here, asked me if I can go and talf about my experience and also everything refered to the focus ( not so technical : not formulas.. etc ) ... so I decided I can show some cool examples about filmes or takes , where the focus was used for telling something, or hiding sth ... or perhaps very dificult pulling focus in takes of known films... thanks !

• Premium Member
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly comes to mind really quickly in terms of how focus was used to mimic a condition.

At the beginning of Raider of the Lost Ark Belloch turns toward camera (when indy books it out of there) with the natives behind him and focus follows him and you can see, more than usual, how anamorphic lenses distort what is behind the plane of focus.

My favorite current use of focus is in “Children of Men” – When they are telling the story of Theo’s (Clive Owen) son and he is listening in on the story. The focus stays on Theo the whole scene, even though he is not the one talking. This selective focus really gets the audience to feel his reaction and emotions.

• Premium Member

That's a good call, John. The Assassination of Jesse James had a lot of really beautiful selective focus for many of the same reasons, but in that case it was rarely with a normal lens. They had a lot of tilt/shift work and they used some period lenses that vignette and were full of aberrations

The Deakinizers in The Assassination of Jesse James are a great example of a blur vignette. Deakins also uses tilt-shift lenses in A Serious Man when the kids are stoned in the synagogue. I'm sure you can find some other movies where a POV shot is entirely out-of-focus to cause a sense of wooziness or the character being drunk. Can't think of any offhand.

In terms of difficult focus pulls, most war movies will have an eye-down-the-barrel shot which are always fun.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly comes to mind really quickly in terms of how focus was used to mimic a condition.

I ve just watched this film ... do you know how this is made? tilt & shift? moving or puting in and out the lens while shooting? or a combination of techuincs? thanks !

I ve just watched this film ... do you know how this is made? tilt & shift? moving or puting in and out the lens while shooting? or a combination of techuincs? thanks !

finally a friend of mine who is focus puller in Francem and whose husband was the escenogrpher in that movie , told me the focus puller is Olivier Fortin , and they used the tilt & shift and the baby lens system...! thanks !

finally a friend of mine who is focus puller in Francem and whose husband was the escenogrpher in that movie , told me the focus puller is Olivier Fortin , and they used the tilt & shift and the baby lens system...! thanks !

Close! It's called the lens baby. ;)

Here are some links:

http://www.lensbaby.com/

http://stateoftheart.popphoto.com/blog/200...hotography.html

love

Freya