Securing a 12x12 Butterfly

Jeff Kolada

Our university just purchased a 12x12 butterfly kit, but nobody really knows how to use it. Perfect example of this is that the professor who ordered it ordered it with 5/8" pins as support, and didn't order any lollipops. It's kinda frustrating, but at the same time good to be able to learn how to use these things.

I really don't have much experience with these either, but obviously the thing is a sail. What is usually used to keep these things from crashing down with a gust of wind, taking the combo stands with it? My best guess is to tie the corners to the ground with tent stakes or something like that, and sandbag eyelets when on concrete. Obviously the combo stands that are holding it will be heavily bagged down.

Do I have the right idea in mind? Or what is the industry standard?

I'm not a grip, but Ive seen em also tie off the 12x frame to a nearby car frame in windy situations. Otherwise, use heavy stands like hi rollers and always have one person on each stand.

you are correct, the professor should have ordered ears instead of pins. Combo stands are ok, mombos and hihi walkers are better.

you should tie off the top two corners with 4 ropes. two ropes tie forward and two ropes tie back, so that the frame will not move. tie the ropes to any thing of weight, trees cars posts your proffesor etc. we often use pitons in parking lots to tie down to. you can drive a piton into almost any crack.

we usually also post a man on one of the stands to make double sure the frame is secure.

Robert's covered it well. a 12 x 12 is a lot more sail area than the typical windsurfer uses. Make sure your guys know their knots, and remember that even properly tied, if the wind comes in at an opportune angle, the 12x could easily bend the top risers on your stands. We also used to tie the frame around the ears to the stands, to prevent them lifting out.

Wick Hempleman

Edited by Warwick Hempleman

• Premium Member

This film school needs a grip. In fact, all film schools should have at least one grip and one electrician on the faculty, but how many do? I know of DP's and editors who've gone into teaching. But how can these universities expect to get it right without at least one person who actually knows what they're doing in each department? Makeup, hair, wardrobe, a film school should be a kind of Noah's Ark of old movie people -- except one of each..... ;-)

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
This film school needs a grip. In fact, all film schools should have at least one grip and one electrician on the faculty, but how many do? I know of DP's and editors who've gone into teaching. But how can these universities expect to get it right without at least one person who actually knows what they're doing in each department? Makeup, hair, wardrobe, a film school should be a kind of Noah's Ark of old movie people -- except one of each..... ;-) - J.S.

And if they've got cameras like RED's, it wouldn't hurt to have one experienced DIT or similar film industry geek.

In the past I worked with film school grads who could tell you all about Goddard's films but wrestled with the concept of lighting to a stop.

• 2 weeks later...
This film school needs a grip. In fact, all film schools should have at least one grip and one electrician on the faculty, but how many do? I know of DP's and editors who've gone into teaching. But how can these universities expect to get it right without at least one person who actually knows what they're doing in each department? Makeup, hair, wardrobe, a film school should be a kind of Noah's Ark of old movie people -- except one of each..... ;-)

-- J.S.

I've known half a dozen people go to Full Sail in Orlando and none of them have been able to get work in the biz except one guy, the guy who gripped. He started working immediately after school.

• 2 months later...

I've known half a dozen people go to Full Sail in Orlando and none of them have been able to get work in the biz except one guy, the guy who gripped. He started working immediately after school.

Actually, I know and worked with two successful Full Sail graduates. One ended up working full time at a medium sized A/V company, where he's now a manager. The other went on to tour (as a Grip) with Barry Manilow until the tour came back to the states. Now he works for his uncle's pest control company.