super8 shoot in a bathroom

julien doumenjou

Hi,

I'm shooting in a bathroom with a super8 Beaulieu 4008. I'm looking for a neon kind of light. I thought using Kino Flo but this units are good for video, I don't know about super8.

Just to give you an idea, I'm looking for the glossy, foggy white atmosphere you can find in some of the Kubrick's film. It will be of course very far from that because we're shooting in super 8 and we can't afford to rent too much equipment, and it's a small bathroom.

Do you have any idea ?

Kino Flo's are kind of bulky, no?

A little bit but it's light and easy to fix on the wall.

Would be nice to link to an image to show what kind of effect you are looking to do.

Here's an exemple of the white mood I'm looking for, the problem is here the light seems to come from the floor wich of course I can't reproduce.default_kubrick_archive_exc_02_0706251445_id_57586.jpg

Kino Flo's are kind of bulky, no?

A little bit but it's light and easy to fix on the wall.

Would be nice to link to an image to show what kind of effect you are looking to do.

Here's an exemple of the white mood I'm looking for, the problem is here the light seems to come from the floor wich of course I can't reproduce.default_kubrick_archive_exc_02_0706251445_id_57586.jpg

post-45856-1271261604.jpg

do you already have your location? You did say, it is a small bathroom. Paint it white for starters, flat white. I would use 100 watt fluorescent bulbs, tungsten balanced, they will be fine on Super 8, just shoot a gray scale. . Shoot on 7217 for finer grain. 7219 for slightly more grain.

do you already have your location? You did say, it is a small bathroom. Paint it white for starters, flat white. I would use 100 watt fluorescent bulbs, tungsten balanced, they will be fine on Super 8, just shoot a gray scale. . Shoot on 7217 for finer grain. 7219 for slightly more grain.

Thanks! The bathroom is already completly white. Fluorescent bulbs you say ? Where would you put it? I thought fixing some on the ceiling but use some on the floor as well. Should I keep the bathroom dry or wet?

Thanks, that is very illuminating.

I would suggest you start with the best possible location to create that kind of light, and then try and make it look like a bathroom rather than trying to light a pre-existing bathroom that way.

I'm not shooting 2001 obviously and I know it's impossible to create that light on a simple bathroom, just sayin' this is the kind of mood I'm looking for.

I have a lot of 7240 stock I wanted to use. Do you think it's a very bad option?

• Premium Member
I don't know how to read the expiracy date. On the white square there's number though, 286 158559.

I researched this and there is no expiration date on my cartridge either. I have a cartridge with the following number, 286 2852.

I have not opened up the cartridge so I don't know if there is additional info on the cartridge itself. I would guess the film is at least 3 years old, and probably closer to 5 years old.

I researched this and there is no expiration date on my cartridge either. I have a cartridge with the following number, 286 2852.

I have not opened up the cartridge so I don't know if there is additional info on the cartridge itself. I would guess the film is at least 3 years old, and probably closer to 5 years old.

I didn't find any info on my cartridge. I just hope it has been stored properly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Why not just go with the Ektachrome 100T? It really is a nice stock.

I consider it so close to good kodachrome 40 that I would not consider it a downgrade to use it instead of kodachrome 40, plus, you get 1 and a 1/3 stop more sensitivity versus Kodachrome 50, and an additional 2/3's more sensitivity than the 64T.