• Premium Member

Lets assume we are going to shoot a scene at a railroad station under a

roof. Two men step off a train wearing hats. Of course when they step off

the train one is behind the other. They start walking side by side,facing for-

ward and talking. They are both facing forward straight ahead,walking and

talking but hoping that no one realizes they are talking. The camera by dir-

ection of the director is told to track backwards on tracks and film the action

of the actors walking forward and talking. At some point the men will stop and

present their profiles to the camera and keep talking. The director tells the DP

that they have only 1 1/2 hours and they immediately have to get off the train

station platform. Which camera is best for the shoot? Which camera can be set

up the quickest for the shoot? Assuming that this a scene for a feature produc-

tion. The time of day is high noon.

1. Panaflex Millenium

2. Sony HD Cam

3. Viper

4. Panavision Genesis

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Well, it all depends on what you mean by "set-up".

The non-Panavision Sony F900 is basically an ENG Digital Betacam on steriods -- you can strip it down to something that fits into a duffel bag with an ENG zoom on it and pop it onto lightweight video sticks. Pop a tape into it and you're ready to go.

But if you want to watch the image on a 24" HD monitor plus run sound into it from a production mixer's console (which you wouldn't do if you were shooting film), etc. now it becomes a big deal to set-up.

And do you count the time it takes to load up some film mags? If not, then something like a Super-16 Aaton or Arri-SR is just as fast as an F900 to set-up and shoot with.

I've done some run & gun shooting in HD without a camera assistant, something I couldn't do with a 35mm Panaflex package, for example, but something I could do with an MOS 35mm Arri-2C or a 16mm camera.

All Panavision packages come with a lot of parts and cases, so it's not something meant for a one-man team to set-up quickly. I assume the Genesis will be no different even though it has a built-in recorder. As for the Viper, you're talking about setting up a separate recorder. That leaves a camcorder like the basic F900 or a simple film camera with snap-on mags.

But as Laurent says, the time to set-up all that track would give you time to set-up an IMAX camera if you wanted to...

• Premium Member

Hello Greg,

Well, what takes the longest time is to set the tracking... You don't need the train for this but the position they will go out the train can be a parameter...

I would say that any HD with hard drives etc. like the Viper would be a risk.

I don't see why the use of a Panaflex would occure any waste of time...

• Premium Member

Well, the Panaflex is probably the quickest to setup.

All you need is a body, lens, mag, stock, and a battery. You?re good to shoot.

I could just use a F900 with a battery and shoot, but I hate the viewing system in the camera, thus I would want some sort of monitor.

You said you have an hour and a half total. I would say that if your camera department can?t get any of those cameras up quicker than that, you have some major problems.

Assuming the gear is centralized, I can get a Panaflex up and running in like 5 to 10 minutes.

The same is true for the video cameras, although I would say about 20 minutes to get picture, and maybe another 10 to calibrate the monitors.

With a good crew, things move fast, as they should.

Kevin Zanit

Edited by Kevin_Zanit

• Premium Member

Thank you very much for your posts,you professionals out in LA and our

film student from Finland. This question was posed to me by a professional

in the industry the other day. He put me on the hot seat so to say but gave

me a few days to respond. He comes back to Harrisburg frequently from CA

to visit friends and family. I served with him in the Republic of Vietnam(when

it was a republic). He carried a camera, I carried an M-16. I naturally thought

that the Panavision Millenium would be quickest to set up and shoot. Of course

you know there are always exceptions as you professional fellows have the ex-

perience and I don't. I have pdfs here(manuas) for just about all the Panavision

cameras,not for the Genesis. I just love Panavision cameras and am always pes-

tering the Panavision people for information. I thought I had read that one of the

Panavision's can be a little finicky starting up but that experienced people do not

have any problems with it. Anyway after researching a little and logically appro-

aching things, I chose the Panaflex Millenium as fastest to set up. He had no pro-

blem with my choice but then he is a Panavision man! I see on page 80 of the new

American Cinematographer(Feb.2005) that Panavision has a new Millenium XL2

with a re-design of the motor-drive shaft and coupling. It can now run up to 50fps

crystal synced. Under 24db for 24fps operation. Its supposed to be improved also

for camera assistant's fingers,to thread film.New video tap also. Thanks again for

professional input! Greg Gross

• Premium Member

The Millennium XL?s threading is a little challenging, if anything just because it is soooo small.

The GII is one hell of a workhorse also. Real easy threading, just a good solid camera.

The Panaflex 16 (also known as the Elaine) can be a bit finicky. If you don?t thread the camera correctly, it can jam and blow an internal fuse. So it takes more time to reset.

Also if you roll the camera out, some of the mags will have light leaks.

That said, I just did a music video in Acton in a burned down forest, while it was raining (and eventually snowing . . . yes snowing!) with no problems at all with the camera. So I think it just comes down to the user (the production brought on a 1st who was pretty good).

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Thanks Kevin!

The tip about light leaks with the mags is a priceless bit of info.

I've seen the "Elaine" and I'd love to shoot my production with it.

I'd keep some fuses in my pocket!

Thanks again

Greg Gross

• Premium Member

Hi,

I think clearly the easiest here, and the most suitable for sitautions like your Vietnam experience if it were to happen now, are things like the F900 and Panasonic HD cameras. They're basically ENG cameras - battery on the back, tape in the slot, shoot. No harder than any video camera.

There's special considerations with the Viper as it's tethered to a recorder, and there's a pile of support gear unless you're shooting to cineRAM, so that'd probably be the most labour-intensive.

Phil