Shoot, Edit, Deliver, all on your iPhone

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Look out RED, Alexa, Sony, Canon HDSLR; it's now going to be possible to shoot HD video on your new iPhone 4, edit it right on the iPhone with iMovie for iPhone, and then deliver your masterpiece over the web, or I guess email it to yourself to a "real" computer and transfer it to DVD, or Blu-Ray.

WOW!!!

This is gonna revolutionize the way we make movies.

;)

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Great... how am I supposed to compete for jobs now with all this digital technology. I don't even have an iPhone because my 'rents won't let me get off of their family talk plan with sprint :/ Now I'll never get into the ASC! Guess it's time to pawn my SR or somethin to deal with the early termination fees.

• Premium Member

Look out RED, Alexa, Sony, Canon HDSLR; it's now going to be possible to shoot HD video on your new iPhone 4, edit it right on the iPhone with iMovie for iPhone, and then deliver your masterpiece over the web, or I guess email it to yourself to a "real" computer and transfer it to DVD, or Blu-Ray.

WOW!!!

This is gonna revolutionize the way we make movies.

;)

Best,

-Tim

Yeah, all those Plutocratic smartasses with the HDV cameras better watch out.

"And with its advanced backside illumination sensor, it captures beautiful images even in low-light settings."

I guess that could be an aid to personal hygiene if all it can locate for you are poorly-lit restroom facilities ;)

And yes, I do know what they're trying to say; it's the new type of CMOS sensor where the light comes in from the opposite side of the sensor to where the switching electronics are located. You'd think they could have come up with a better name for it.

:lol:

"The Steadicam Smoothee™ is small and agile enough to take on vacations or follow the action at sporting events."

Can you imagine how annoying that would be? Some idiot in front of you holding that thing up in the air. Mobile phones are bad enough.

I used to take the occasional picture at a concert myself, but nowadays I just enjoy the gig. If I ever want a pic I know there's hundreds to choose from out there on line - and from angles I never got to see!

We may scoff at HD on an iPhone, but think of how news gathering has already changed because joe public is able to grab footage no news agency could anticipate. Or afford. Usually it's off a regular phone and the quality is rubbish, but still you can make out what's going on. I don't mean that ENG crews will get replaced. You will still need presenters and decent interviews by people who know what to ask, and you can't beat someone who's properly trained and with a nose for a story, but they can't be everywhere at once. And at a large event the sheer ubiquity of cameras these days, and the ability to upload almost immediately to the net (on the better phones anyhow) is bringing about a certain kind of democratisation that is having a very real political impact. So much so, that over here they've made it illegal to film a policeman!

So how many iPhones are out there now? And how many with HD capability in a few years? The times they are a changing...

I am F-ing sick of these "revolutions" in film making. Can't we just make movies and forget about the f-ing marketing hype? :angry:

The worst is yet to come. A 17 year old kid from Des Moines Iowa will soon make an iPhone movie that will be bigger than Paranormal Activity, his budget will be $12.67.

The media will then all herald this as the new revolution in filmmaking and declare Hollywood and all who work for it to be obsolete.

Wait and see.....

R,

• Premium Member

Part of my current job involves technical evaluatitons of consumer video cameras including pocket "spycams" and the like.

I just can't believe the picture quality you get out of some of them. One I evaluated recently was about the size and shape of a smallish flat highlighter marker, (and that included the USB plug) and it would record for about 3 hours on a single charge. With a 16GB micro-SD card and a small external battery pack we estimated you should be able to get about 15-16 hours continuous audio and video recording.

The playback picture has about 300 lines horizontal resolution, and that's LINES not pixels! And by that I mean "useable" resolution; like you can clearly see the vertical lines up to the "300" marker (and not the sort of a incomprehensible 30dB-Down squiggle on a simulated oscilloscope trace a certain company is so fond of showing :P)

It's also amazing that it records on good quality MPEG4, considering how complex an operation MPEG4 compression actually is, and it does this in real time, running from a tiny lithium battery, for three hours per charge!

I've seen but not actually played with similar cameras that have a servo-focus lens and a genuine 640 x 480 resolution.

So the capture and storage software is well on its way. All we need now is software for scriptwriting, acting, directing, lighting, set building, catering, wardrobe and most important, Teamsters Union bypass!

Edited by Keith Walters

So the capture and storage software is well on its way. All we need now is software for scriptwriting, acting, directing, lighting, set building, catering, wardrobe and most important, Teamsters Union bypass!

Just pay a truck load of money to a film school, they have the answers to all of these problems and more.

Now will your payment be in small un-marked bills?

R,

• Premium Member

Well I guess JJ is really gonna blow a gasket when he sees all the folks makin' movies on them iPhones if he gets this upset by HDSLR cameras.

JJ goes off on HDSLR's

Nice to see the hype/marketing machine is back in business (OMG, they're not talking about my camera anymore, all they want to talk about is HDSLR's, I must say something REALLY RIDICULOUS to get folks talking about RED again).

Best,

-Tim