7D and 5D lens size/perspective equivalancies

Morgan Peline

Hi,

I'm shooting a sitcom on some Canon 7Ds. I am just confirming something. A friend told me that you need to multiply by 1.6 to get lens size equivalencies

e.g.

If I wanted to use a standard lens - a 50mm on a D5 then to get the same perspective of a standard lens, on a D7 I would need to use an 80mm.

Is this right?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm shooting a sitcom on some Canon 7Ds. I am just confirming something. A friend told me that you need to multiply by 1.6 to get lens size equivalencies

e.g.

If I wanted to use a standard lens - a 50mm on a D5 then to get the same perspective of a standard lens, on a D7 I would need to use an 80mm.

Is this right?

Thanks!

Hi,

I just found it on the net. So you need to divide by 1.6

So to get a the same 50mm perspective on a D5, for a D7 you need to use a 31mm.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Field-of-View-Crop-Factor.aspx

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Another way to think about it: The 7D sensor is very close in size to a 35mm motion picture frame. If you've shot 35mm just use the focal lengths you're used for given setups.

• Premium Member

Another way to think about it: The 7D sensor is very close in size to a 35mm motion picture frame. If you've shot 35mm just use the focal lengths you're used for given setups.

Yes, I'm not sure why one needs to mentally convert everything to 8-perf 35mm (FF35) focal length equivalents if one is used to shooting movies. The focal lengths used for a 7D would be similar to any 35mm cine / Super-35mm / Red One, etc. show; it would only be if I were shooting on the 5D that I would have to calculate what lenses to use!

The 7D's APS-C sensor is roughly 22.5 x 15mm, which is similar to 3-perf 35mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I'm not sure why one needs to mentally convert everything to 8-perf 35mm (FF35) focal length equivalents if one is used to shooting movies. The focal lengths used for a 7D would be similar to any 35mm cine / Super-35mm / Red One, etc. show; it would only be if I were shooting on the 5D that I would have to calculate what lenses to use!

The 7D's APS-C sensor is roughly 22.5 x 15mm, which is similar to 3-perf 35mm.

....I didn't realize....

So a 'Standard lens' on a 7D is a 50mm (or a 40mm depending on your personal taste...) just like on 35mm.

That makes things much easier!

Thanks a lot!