Super 8 telecine in the UK

Pavan Deep

I have used Super 8 for many years, and I am am always keen to promote Super 8 as a serious viable format for story - telling, which I believe it is. I have started to offer Super 8 telecine service, using the frame by frame method with a modified projector and a machine vision camera.

It all started as a bit of fun, but since there aren't many transfer options here in the UK some of my friends and even their friends have been sending me their newly processed films to transfer to digital. Currently I am transferring in Standard Definition Pal both 4.3 and 16.9. I can easily transfer films shot with a wide gate and can transfer negative Super 8 film with ease. I can get really good results, I will put some samples online soon when I update my site. A lot of people say they have difficulty telling the difference between my transfers and 'Rank' transfers.

Many people have warned me that there's not a lot of money to be made in Super 8 transfers and have kind of deterred me. I am not doing this for money as I charge very little, I am doing this as I am passionate Super 8 and with all my years of experience I really want more people, especially young people to use Super 8 here in England.

P

I have just uploaded a sample clip;

I had a short film of mine converted via a frame by frame system; http://www.vimeo.com/3175593, it was after this that I decided to build me own system.

P

Looks like an excellent service to me - you captured excellent details and gleaned some high resolution from the k40 you shot with your Big lensed Bauer! 64T looked absolutely horrible with a Bauer s715xl!

Keep up the good work!

Jamie

Looks like an excellent service to me - you captured excellent details and gleaned some high resolution from the k40 you shot with your Big lensed Bauer! 64T looked absolutely horrible with a Bauer s715xl!

Keep up the good work!

Jamie

Thanks, I do miss K40, though I think the new 100D looks amazing, I just hope it runs through cameras smoothly. For me the problem of the 64T was it's heavy grain, which I later discovered can be treated, but then there was the jittery and somewhat unstable images.

P

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the positive comments. I have had a lot of success getting people to use Super 8 to create their projects. Many of these people have never used film or Super 8 before and have been impressed with the end results. Since a lot of people are unsure of how good frame by frame transfers can be I have decided to offer transfers at an increadibly low cost.

There's a lot of hard work getting the best out of Super 8 and I have realised the main drawback of the frame by frame system is that of time - transfers take a long time, but so far time has not been a problem. I am also redesigning my system developing a new a film transport unit from scratch to replace the projector as I have become aware of certain limitations of using my projectors.

I will be putting more samples on my website soon.

P