LA A-Z recommendations

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

> What kind of apartments are we talking about here?

Standard one-person apartments such as appear all over the world. One up on a bedsit - probably sleep in the largest room, kitchen you can get two people in if they're friendly, bathroom just long enough for a bath, lounge you can lounge in if you're short. Some places combine bedroom and lounge - a friend of mine pays the equivalent of US$900/month for a three-room (kitchen the size of a cupboard) in Tunbridge Wells, which is further out than I am.

Property in the UK is ridiculously, hopelessly, insanely expensive. Most people my age will never own property until they inherit.

Phil

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider that in London it is impossible to pay less than the equivalent of US$2000/month for anywhere that isn't a complete hellhole, this being the reason I live forty miles out.
Out of curiosity, Phil, could I ask what it costs you to travel to London (I understand you are working on some sort of basis with Filmlight ??) - and what it costs you in time? If you add that to your suburban rent, does it still make it a good deal?

Of course if your regular (!) work is all over the place as a video camera person, then it perhaps doesn't matter so much where you live - and Central London doesn't really have an equivalent in LA anyway.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Travel into London on our hopelessly outdated and unreliable rail network will cost between 3 and 4k a year and costs me about ninety minutes a day on days I do it, generally about three a week for one reason or another. Most people I know who pay the 400% premium for living in London travel at least an hour because the underground is so insane at rush times. They save a little time and a bit more money, but I don't really consider it worthwhile - on days I'm not working, I don't pay London rent to sit around.

Of course this makes less and less sense as it becomes more and more clear that there's nothing doing freelance camera-wise in London.

$300/month? You're kidding. What d'you live in, a shoebox?

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member
I've never heard of that magazine.  Is it for actors or something?  Just curious.

I haven't picked up a dramalogue for a few years but as I recall it's chock full of hundreds of productions that are currently going on. These productions range from USC films to industrial to mini-dv to low budget feature films etc,....

MOST of the shoots won't pay or pay nearly enough, but they can give you a great chance to meet a bunch of people who are involved in the California production community. Many times these productions have what I call "upgrades" making the project happen.

An upgrade might be a camera operator trying to be a DP, a set PA trying to be a grip or gaffer, a camera loader getting a chance to assist. If you do well on a job where there are people trying to "upgrade", they will appreciate your effort and it can carry forward in the months that follow because many of the upgraders actually do work in the industry when they aren't trying to upgrade.

As a relatively new LA transplant I'll toss in my two cents.

For a 1 bedroom apartment in a "neutral" area (not bad, not good either) expect to pay a $1000 a month (finding a flatmate or 2 can really, really help out on rent). Hollywood isn't nearly as bad as it was 3+ years ago. Lots of new development is happening there, but I wouldn't call it a "nice" area (although it another 2-3 years it could be). Los Feliz borders Hollywood on the East and is kind of artsy/bohemian<sp?> kinda 'hood. Trendy, but not in a bad way. West Hollywood is pretty much a nice area AFAIK (I don't venture that far west too often). I live a bit south of the Hollywood/West Hollywood border. My 'hood is nice and I feel safe walking pretty much any where in/around the Santa Monica Blvd/La Cienga Ave/Beverly Blvd/La Brea Ave "box" I live in. It's not exceedingly expensive, but parking (95% on street) is a royal PITA. I have lots of places w/in walking distance (malls, theaters, grocery stores, bars, resturants, etc.,) of my apartment, but having a car is still a must. I'm lucky in that my typical work commute is only 25min or so each way (I work in North Hollywood).

I have some friends that live in Burbank and North Hollywood (in the Valley on the other side of the Hills from Hollywood) that like it, but it feels too suburban to me. Living on this side of the Hills I feel more like I'm living "in" LA. I used to live closer to Griffith Park which was nice 'cause I could hike at the drop of a hat. Now it has to be more of a planned event. Anyway...

To each there own though. As some one else said, LA is big enough for everyone. If you like it LA has it (aside from clean air, of course ;)).

-Andrew

• Premium Member

I'm afraid Phil is right about London prices.

I live in a so called bedsit. This means I don't have my own toilet and I don't have my own shower - this is shared with the other 8 tenants of the house. It's more like a dorm in a Victorian setting. Which means that you sometimes have to wipe the seat after mister builder has been out grabbing a pint of beer with his scaffolding cronies. My living space is about 160 sq.ft. My bedsit is criminally cold and I have a little electric meter I have to stick one pound coins into at an alarming rate now during the winter. I do have a little pentry where I can cook and a sink where I can do dishes and brush my teeth. I also have a house mouse who comes out from behind the stove to check if I might have some interesting leftovers he could nibble on at times. Naturally, this being Britain, I also have wall-to-wall grimy carpeting from the late 70's and sash windows that are warped and will not close, or open, properly. But then again, so does every house in Britain. :D

This for a mere £433 a month plus about £60 in electricity. Total: £493, that's about $950 or something. Marvellous, isn't it?

Actually, it is. I live in a lovely, sweet little area by Regent's Park, just the around the corner I have cafes and pubs and everything I need. I walk into Soho in about 45 minutes. I have a minte to the park. You could do worse. You could be in Deptford.

But don't tell me life as a struggling DP isn't paying dues. I will however remember these years fondly when I'm sitting at the Retirement Home of the Chronically Unemployable Motion Picture Cameramen sipping my mint julep.

• Premium Member
I'm afraid Phil is right about London prices.

I live in a so called bedsit. This means I don't have my own toilet and I don't have my own shower - this is shared with the other 8 tenants of the house. It's more like a dorm in a Victorian setting. Which means that you sometimes have to wipe the seat after mister builder has been out grabbing a pint of beer with his scaffolding cronies. My living space is about 160 sq.ft. My bedsit is criminally cold and I have a little electric meter I have to stick one pound coins into at an alarming rate now during the winter. I do have a little pentry where I can cook and a sink where I can do dishes and brush my teeth. I also have a house mouse who comes out from behind the stove to check if I might have some interesting leftovers he could nibble on at times. Naturally, this being Britain, I also have wall-to-wall grimy carpeting from the late 70's and sash windows that are warped and will not close, or open, properly. But then again, so does every house in Britain.  :D

This for a mere £433 a month plus about £60 in electricity. Total: £493, that's about $950 or something. Marvellous, isn't it?

Actually, it is. I live in a lovely, sweet little area by Regent's Park, just the around the corner I have cafes and pubs and everything I need. I walk into Soho in about 45 minutes. I have a minte to the park. You could do worse. You could be in Deptford.

But don't tell me life as a struggling DP isn't paying dues. I will however remember these years fondly when I'm sitting at the Retirement Home of the Chronically Unemployable Motion Picture Cameramen sipping my mint julep.

Meanwhile, back in LA a film crew is gearing up to make a 10 million dollar movie to recreate the very existence you describe.

Good lord, this is depressing!

You know, lots of people here describe Europe in general (and England in particular) as some sort of utopian wonderland, with your "free" medical care, and "wonderful" public transportation.

I hear it all the time, and there are many, many well meaning people pretty much constantly trying to get legislation passed here to make us just like you. I hope they're all reading this...

I guess I'll stop complaining about traffic & high rents.

Even my lowly mobile home is about 1300 square feet, has central heat & air, detached garage, 3 full bathrooms, and a nice back yard with BBQ & fountain!

OK Phil & Adam, you can come over here and I'll rent out my 2 spare rooms to ya real cheap!

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member

"The stuff you own ends up owning you".

It would be nice to have a bit bigger, but honestly, what does a human being really need? Some food each day, a place to rest one's head and a place to wash. That's it.

Everything else is just icing.

:D

• Premium Member

Wow,

Makes me happy with what I've got! I've been hunting for a new place on www.westsiderentals.com (not that they need the plug). Not too much out there for under a thousand if you want your own place. You can find a nice place to share for under $800, though. This is a great idea if you can find someone living in a "rent controlled" apt. You'll get a great deal.

I've been here 7 1/2 years. Started out in Studio City, which is actually a really nice nieghborhood near Universal, then I moved over the hill to the "miracle mile" south of Hollywood, which has a 1920's/1930's charm to it. Similar to NY apts with exposed brick walls and such. For the last 5 years I've been on the Westside and consider myself an official 'Westsider'. I'm close to Santa Monica and Venice and all the cool little restaurants and haunts around there. I can still be in Hollywood in 20 minutes or Manhattan Beach in fifteen. It's a nice balance of southern California beach living and Los Angeles city lifestyle. But I do have a crappy apt, it just happens to be in a nice area. And it's rent controlled

I must say, it's gonna be hard to move back to L.A. (I keep putting it off...)

I've gotten kinda spoiled, being able to drive one hour & be in the redwoods, no people around.

Even came up on a black bear last summer!

Maybe they could import some wild bears & drop them off various places around L.A. to make me feel right at home.

Matt Pacini

I must say, it's gonna be hard to move back to L.A. (I keep putting it off...)

I've gotten kinda spoiled, being able to drive one hour & be in the redwoods, no people around.

Even came up on a black bear last summer!

Maybe they could import some wild bears & drop them off various places around L.A. to make me feel right at home.

Matt Pacini

Last summer there were mountain lion sightings/warnings in Griffith Park.

-Andrew

Someone mentioned: "You can be in a really nice neighborhood, and literally one block away is a dirty, disgusting, gang-ridden hellhole that you would never dare get out of your car in. It doesn't necessarily "gradually" get bad, which I'll never figure out, but it's true."

I forget who said this, but it's kinda funny because that's pretty much what Savannah is like. (Except Savannah is tiny, sheltered, and full of tons of people who have barely even travelled above the Mason-Dixon line let alone across the country...)

What about if you have a bike, is that a pain too, or is it a worthwhile transportation method? By the way, I know all about bike theft because it has happened to me in 5 separate incidents. Yes, I had a bike stolen outside the school library, in pieces...within two weeks, the only thing left was the frame and part of the lock.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I have no idea if this is true, since I've never tried it, but I have a sneakng suspicion that if you could deal with the traffic, cycling in LA would actually be a pretty workable way of getting around. 'course, there's a limit to how much you can carry, but that's all the more reason to become a director of photography - one meter, end of story!

Phil

• Premium Member

You can bike anywhere. People are just lazy, that's why they invent excuses for not moving their a**es. The first thing they said to me when I came to London with my bike packed is "Are you crazy? You can't bike in London - traffic will kill you!". Hasn't yet.

I love biking, it's the best thing in the world. And one of these days I'm going to do the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to SF. Take about a week, I reckon.

in LA would actually be a pretty workable way of getting around.

I have a bike in NY, and am looking at getting one in LA. I think that is a great idea at least for getting around a particular area, like Hollywood. You avoid can avoid being stuck in traffic, I would even sneak up on the side walk every now and again as they are hardly used.

This is an interesting thread. I came out to LA in the summer of 2003 to visit some freinds/ family and check out the left coast. I met some guys through a friend and got hired for a job. Since then I've been making more frequent trips back to LA, until now I spend months there.

Generally in the winter time work is really thin in NY so I spend more of that time in LA.

My over all impressions California topography is absolutely jaw dropping. You have forests, mountains, dessert, ocean. It's February and the sun is shining eveyday, that's hard to beat. But of course that's the obvious stuff.

NY I think is a place you either love or hate. Because NY constatly bombards your senses, it never turns off - it never stops, and you have to keep up with its pace. There are always things to do in NY, people to see, life to be lived. You pay way too much for way too little. There are constant cultural events where you can experience celebrations of many cultures from around the world. There are always events that bring people together: parties, street fares, museum showings, outdoor film screenings, art exhibitions. You walk everywhere you go, and have to negotiate your way through hundreds of thousands of other people everyday. But when you step outside your door you have no idea what adventure is awaiting you that day.

To me there is little to love and little to hate about LA, it just exists. Life in LA is a lot more laid back. People in LA don't really seem to do much of anything. Don't really seem to have passion for much of anything. I don't think very many people here frequently go to the beach. Part of that is the fact that the LA area is so spread out, you don't want to drive some where far risk being stuck in traffic, just to go to some event. Traffic is so bad that has to account a a subtraction in quality of life and productivity.

For example LA used to have two football teams, now they have no football teams, no one seems to care. In NY if anyone tried to take away one of its football teams there would be rioting in the streets. George Bush came to speak in Southern California few people cared or noticed. Bush spoke in NY there was rioting in the streets.

As others have pointed out the lifestyles people live here can push your expectations to unrealistic levels. Especially with the cars they drive. Everyday in LA I see cars driving down the street that I'd previously only seen in magazines. Oddly I see far more Hummers here than I see in cold snowy climates. A Hummer in sunny California is just screaming status symbol. A Hummer is a gas guzzler in a place with the most expensive gas in the country, it doesn't really have as much interior space as you would think for its hulking size, you have a four wheel drive vehicle in a place where it doesn't rain very much and never comes close to snowing.

The Hollywood Studio film industry is a beast I'm still learning about. I have a few friends who are involved and have scripts that studio heads are looking at and negotiating over. Its actually quite fascinating how random it all is. My personal feeling its more akin to a high school popularity contest than it is about filmmaking skill.

But that's my personal observation.

Well those are some very good insights, so thank you. I often wonder if people in New York City simply drink too much coffee or something. Ha ha I'm just kidding, New Yorkers, you know I love ya. I considered living there for a while and then I realized that I tend to be pretty high-strung as a person, so maybe the aforementioned "laid back" attitude of California might do me some good. I guess I'll find out. Oh by the way, nobody in Savannah goes to the beach either. I think it's this unwritten rule that unless you surf, you don't go to the beach where you live. Who knows.

There is however by large magnitude, far more film work in Los Angeles than in New York. Which is why I make frequent trips out there.

I know this is a cliche' but from what I see its true. In NY film is appreciated as art. Which means you're not likely to make much money at it.

While in LA film is a money making juggernaut. Which doesn't guarantee anyone will make much money at it, but their is a far greater opportunity.

• Premium Member

Just got to reading this whole chat - it's great.

I've been here for 18 months from Chicago - LOVED that city and it's taken work to adapt to living here.

I live in Hollywood (very close to AFI because I spend so much time in this area anyways, may as well live here) and spend $875 for a 1-bedroom. Last year had an AMAZING place with two friends and paid under $600 each. As others have mentioned, my street is very clean and friendly, but right across Sunset Blvd I wouldn't walk at night and I stand 6'4"!

Best advice is to find an area you feel comfortable in, has things you're looking for, and just shop around apartments - takes some time, but eventually you can find those killer deals everyone else gets jealous about.

You can bike anywhere. People are just lazy, that's why they invent excuses for not moving their a**es. ..."

I really think you guys are underestimating the size of the L.A. area.

If it were a big square on a map (which it isn't) it would be about 70 miles by 70 miles, and you WILL need to get to places that are not in any central location.

Everything happening in the industry is not all taking place in Hollywood, beleive me.

I had no idea how big it was, until I had lived there for over a year.

If you're a tourist, then sure, you could pick some places that you could reach using a bike, but if you live and work there, forget it.

The saying "you can't get there from here" probably originated in L.A.

It's not a matter of being lazy.

Let's say you live in Calbasas, and you have to be somewhere in Long Beach.

That's about an hour and a half by car (freeway the entire way), if you're lucky enough to not have to go during rush hour, which will add at least another 30-45 minutes to your trip.

It would take you probably 6 hours to make that trip on a bike, EACH WAY.

And contrary to popular belief, it's not sunny every day of the year in L.A., so you're gonna have to do this in the rain sometimes too.

No thanks...

Sorry, but it's just insane to think people are being lazy because they don't think you could operate that way day in, day out.

You gotta have a car if you live in L.A., or you'll be one of those people that ends up with no friends, because you're always bumming a ride from everyone you know just to get around.

Matt Pacini