Eumig Super 8 Mark-8 Projector

rob dennis

I have a Eumig Super 8 Mark-8 projector which worked in the UK on 220V. I have just unpacked it from my moving box this morning after 4 years in the USA and the film feed is not moving.

I am using a power adapter which works with my camcorder and other devices. The power and projector light comes on but when I tried to feed the film, nothing moves. HELP!

Also, I would like to know if I can get a digital english manual sent to me so I can understand the purpose for all the knobs and levers.

I'm a newbie to super 8 with a number of films I would like to transfer to digital format. Can I just video the projection? Is that the best way?

HELP!

A likely candidate is a broken drivebelt. I replaced one on eBay a while back. Take the back off and it should be fairly obvious if one is missing. The remains will probably still be in there.

Ah, here you go.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=eumig+belt+&_cqr=true&_nkwusc=eumig+drivebelt&_rdc=1

Thanks Mark.

...No broken drive belt or remains in there. The lamp and power light is on but the feeder is still not working.

Is there another machine I can get to transfer to digital for future editing?post-47349-12799042040618.jpg

Hi Rob,

have you tried attaching the red connector in the picture to "200"?

I have one of those Mark 8's, and it seems to be quite picky about correct voltage setting. The voltage here is 230 V, and my projector won't start when set to 240 V (even though most other devices work fine when set up like that).

It might just be that your converter's output is not quite 220 volts, in which case the motor wouldn't run when set to expect that amount of voltage. But try my suggestion on your own risk; I guess you will risk damaging the power supply.

Regarding transferring Super 8 to Digital: you can certainly project the film and shoot it off the screen with a video camera, but this doesn't give you the best possible quality. Dedicated telecine machines / scanners are recommended instead. There are plenty of such services in the US, and some of them quite affordable; you will surely find some recommendations by searching this forum and others like it.

Hi Rob,

have you tried attaching the red connector in the picture to "200"?

I have one of those Mark 8's, and it seems to be quite picky about correct voltage setting. The voltage here is 230 V, and my projector won't start when set to 240 V (even though most other devices work fine when set up like that).

It might just be that your converter's output is not quite 220 volts, in which case the motor wouldn't run when set to expect that amount of voltage. But try my suggestion on your own risk; I guess you will risk damaging the power supply.

Regarding transferring Super 8 to Digital: you can certainly project the film and shoot it off the screen with a video camera, but this doesn't give you the best possible quality. Dedicated telecine machines / scanners are recommended instead. There are plenty of such services in the US, and some of them quite affordable; you will surely find some recommendations by searching this forum and others like it.

Thanks Antti.

I have connected with 200v and the rest but still no joy...still not sure what the problem is. Perhaps need a better transformer/adapter.

Thanks for the tip on telecine machines / scanners.

Comments from others are also welcomed.

Thanks Antti.

I have connected with 200v and the rest but still no joy...still not sure what the problem is. Perhaps need a better transformer/adapter.

Thanks for the tip on telecine machines / scanners.

Comments from others are also welcomed.

...Any additional comments as what the problem could be? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

What is the mains tension in your place now? We have 233 Volt here. They constantly increase the tension in order to be able to do further investments and to help the supply industries sell their stuff, you know, new sort of bulbs, and the like.

The lamp in your Mark 8 projector is a 100 Watt one. The motor draws 80 Watt. Seems that your adaptor is way too weak for the total of 180 Watt.