Lighting fixtures questions

Chris Keth

The official Dedo site has all the info you need regarding Dedo lights. Basically they make a variety of hard lights, which give you extremely cpntrollable beams. I'm a big fan of the DLH4...it's always on my equipment rental list; and the suction cup is genius.

Source Four is a stage light that can be used as a spot light. It's also useful to toss in a pre made gobos, in the lens of the unit, for a quick pattern.

• Premium Member

The Source 4 is made by ETC and is essentially a modernized version of the standard stagelight called the Leko. It's an ellipsoidal light.

http://www.etcconnect.com/products/products.asp?1

The Dedolight is also an ellipsoidal, just very small.

Basically think of a light with a big glass lens in front, not like a fresnel or PAR lens, but more like a camera lens -- ellipsoidals are sort of like using a slide projector to create a spotlight. This allows them to project shadow patterns from gobo slides slipped inside the light (although with Dedos you need a projector lens attachment.)

Dedos are amazingly easy to hide, so you can use them for cramped spaces. Also, they have a nice long throw so they're great for adding punch. This Sat I lit a scene by taking 6 4x4 kinos and essentially creating a wall out of them. I placed 3 side by side connecting the flaps with a no.3 spring clamp, and then another 3 right above those in the same formation. I then placed a bleached muslin over the entire thing and had the most amazing wrapping soft light I could ever ask for. Then I just strategically placed diffused dedos around the set for slight kicker punch, and some B-boards on the floor.

This was shot on 7229 going to digibeta...will see dailies on Thu. :)